Chapter 6- Family

The helicopter crashes in a rural roadway in the middle of nowhere

The helicopter crashes in a rural roadway in the middle of nowhere. Natasha, Yelena, Alexei and I hop out of the battered and smoking helicopter. We look around at the wilderness.

"You should've brought the Avengers' superjet." Alexei says. Natasha, Yelena and I walk away from Alexei.

"I swear, if I hear one more word from him, I will kick him in the face." Yelena whispers to us.

"He's the worst." Natasha whispers back.

Yelena walks ahead while Natasha and I walk side by side. "Why won't the Red Room let you have any kids?" I ask Natasha. After hearing Yelena explain why she and Natasha couldn't have any kids, this question has been stuck in my head before we crash landed in St. Petersburg and I was trying to understand why a man like Dreykov would ever do that to young innocent women.

"It's sort of like a graduation ceremony, after you've finished your training, they sterilize you. They say that having kids would prevent you from completing a mission. It's one less thing to worry about." Natasha explains.

"Oh." I say. Natasha sees the sad look on my face and we stop walking.

"I know what Yelena said was a lot to take in and I'm sorry for putting you through this mess. But you have to understand that Yelena and I, we didn't have a normal childhood. Because of how we were raised and trained, we had to make some very bad decisions in order to survive. Decisions a young girl should never have to make." Natasha says.

"We were forced to grow up. We had no other choice. But you do. You can make decisions for yourself. You can choose what you want to do. Just don't grow up too fast, okay? Stay a teenager as long as you can because before you know it, you don't know what you've missed."

Natasha and I continue walking when Alexei calls her name. "Natasha. Natasha. Natasha." Natasha looks at me while she tries to ignore Alexei and I walk ahead when he catches up with her. "Come here, I want to ask you something. Come, it's important."

"What?" Natasha asks.

"Did he talk to you about me?" Alexei asks.

"What?" Natasha asks again.

"Did he talk to you about me? You know, trading war stories?" Alexei questions.

"Who? What are you talking about?" Natasha asks.

"Captain America. My great adversary in this theater of geopolitical conflict." Alexei replies. "Not so much a nemesis. More like a contemporary, you know? Coequal. I always thought there was a great deal of mutual respect-"