The Young Years: Chapter 8

June 16th, 2014
That Monday  at school I couldn't face Carter. I avoided him everywhere I knew he would be. I couldn't think of him without wanting to cry and run away. Unfortunately with my luck I had science today.
As I walked through the hall I keep hearing someone scream my name. When people screamed my name I usually  ignore them because anyone who wants my attention should understand if I ignore you once it means I don't want to talk. I then felt a cold hand reached my shoulder.
"Sofia are you deaf or something" said laughed  Katie. Katie was kinda my friend. She was one of those people you knew and had to hang out with because of your friends but really she just annoyed the hell out of you and you could only take 10 minutes of her.
"No sorry"
"Ok well did you go to Carters baseball game" she said out of breath.
"Yeah" I said hesitantly.
"Well he talking about it with me and said he didn't play because he was too scared to mess up in front of you. How sweet" she said in a love struck voice.
"Oh" I said at a loss of words
"Yeah"
She than ran off to whatever class that was obviously not in my direction. I felt conflicted. A small smile grew on my face. It was cute to think he was scared to mess up in front of me but a text message would be nice.
When I made it to science I felt my heart grew and become twice the weight of my body. I could barely move to my seat.
"Hey" he said shyly.
"Hey" I said "why didn't you play yesterday"
Now that might seem abrupt to ask but that's who I am. I like knowing things straight out no mind tricks or hesitation. I also knew if I thought about what to say I wouldn't end up saying anything. I just had to spit it out.
"You" he said staring in my eyes as if he was trying to figure me out.
"What"
"You. I was too scared to mess up in front of you. The truth is I suck at baseball. I know it was probably awful not to tell you but I wanted to impress you. I was just to scared"
I didn't know what to think.
"You don't have to impress me. I already am impressed by you. But I would have liked a heads up. It was no fun watching Forest. Your lucky I had coffee"
"Sorry" he said staring at the ground with a smirk.
"It's ok"
"Why don't I make it up to you" he said with a half smile "lets go on a date"
"A what" I whispered
"I don't know like a date. We can meet up by the board walk or something. Maybe make it like a double date or hang out or something. I'm kinda new to all this"
My eyes widen. I was still kinda pissed off about the whole no show act but couples fight right.
"Um yeah. We can text to set something up"
"Yeah that would be great"