twenty-eight; let's pick a fight

━━━let's pick a fight

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

Callahan felt like she had entered the Hunger Games. Ephialtes and Otis had vanished the minute they had charged, reappearing in front of their colorful switchboards and immediately pressing buttons. She heaved herself up and over the rising walls, dodging an ax that swung down from the ceiling. She was trying her hardest to make it to Nico and check if he was okay, but obstacles sprung up all around her.

An arrow whistled by her, almost clipping her shoulder. She swore, tucking her head in as she rolled behind a large box. Callahan peaked up, catching Piper making her way toward Nico and Percy fighting against a hydra. Jason was lunging at Otis, the both of them performing some fucked-up version of Swan Lake. Another arrow thudded into the wood by her shoulder, and Cal jumped over her cover and made a mad dash toward Nico.

"Not so fast, young lady!" Ephilates screamed, slamming his hand down on a big red button. Then, the floor opened.

Callahan swore, stumbling as a crack began to grow beneath her feet, heat bubbling up from the ground. She could feel the soles of her boots melting, the ground shaking and rumbling. Something was growing closer, and she rolled just in time to avoid a geyser that shot boiling water up to where she had just been.

"Cal!" Percy was somewhere to the left of her, his voice harder to hear beneath the game of deadly hopscotch she was playing. Another geyser just narrowly missed her hair. Callahan felt like she was in a volcano, the ground slowly but surely breaking apart as she tried to escape the boiling water.

"Cal, move toward me!" Percy screamed, and she looked up from her dodging to find him standing on a metal crate. The hydra he was fighting was nowhere to be seen. Callahan nodded, pushing herself forward and leaping over a growing fissure in the ground. She narrowly missed the boiling water that shot up out of it, and she could hear Percy swearing.

"Get to the controls!" She yelled back, her feet dancing over the cracks, "I'll be fine!"

Percy swore, knowing she was right. He moved off, dodging Otis and his weapons. Sweat was starting to fall down her face, making it even harder to see.

The sound of sparking wiring caught her attention, and she danced over the smaller cracks to find Percy slashing at the control panel.

"No!" Ephilates cried, "you've ruined the spectacle!"

She watched as the giant's spear smacked Percy across the chest, the boy falling to his knees. Callahan gasped, pushing herself farther until she slid to her knees beside him.

"I'm fine--"

She pressed her hands into her shoulders, moving so she could look at his chest. Jason was running toward them, Otis following after him with his heavy gait.

Callahan swore, pulling Percy up so they were shoulder-to-shoulder. Jason met up with them, and the three turned to face the approaching giants. The incredibly strong giants were healing faster than the three of them could.

Ephialtes smiled apologetically at Percy, "Tired, Percy Jackson? As I said, you cannot kill us. So I guess we're at an impasse. Oh, wait...no we're not! Because we can kill you!"

"That," Otis grumbled, picking up his fallen spear, "is the first sensible thing you've said all day, brother."

The giants pointed their weapons, ready to turn Percy, Jason, and Cal into a demigod-kabob.

"We won't give up," Jason growled. "We'll cut you into pieces as Jupiter did to Saturn."

"That's right," Percy said. "You're both dead. I don't care if we have a god on our side or not."

"Well, that's a shame," said a new voice.

To Percy's right, another platform lowered from the ceiling. Leaning casually on a pine cone-topped staff was a man in a purple camp shirt, khaki shorts, and sandals with white socks. He raised his broad-brimmed hat, and purple fire flickered in his eyes. "I'd hate to think I made a special trip for nothing."

━━━let's pick a fight

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

a/n: the chapters are gonna be short for the next couple ones. And I'm sorry I've been away for so long, I've just been swamped with school. 

.