Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Twenty-Three: Means Something

Paul POV

"I'm pregnant." I took in a sharp breath. How was that even possible? I ran a hand through my hair.

First vampire. I can't be a dad. Mine sucks. He's never home and when he is he's abusive. My whole life he was gone. Out. On the road. And when he did come home he would hit first and ask questions later.

"Please say something." Artemis begged. I turned and saw a tear run down her cheek. We can do this. Right? I reached over and wiped her tears.

"We'll do this. Together." She nodded. I kissed her lips gently.

"I think we need to tell Sam." She said, I nodded. I don't really know how he'll act.

"Yeah, Okay." I turned the key and started to drive.

We head to Sam's and Emily's. I see her shaking so I reach over and grab her hand.

"It's going to be okay. And I'll be here the whole time. No matter what." I stated.

She smiled. "I love you."

"I love you, too. And I'll love this baby." I stated. She nodded and smiled even brighter.

We drove to Sam's in almost complete silence. What were we supposed to say? I loved her and I would love this baby.

We got to Sam's. We got out of the car and walked inside. Sam and Emily were the only two there.

"Sam, we uh we need to talk." I stated. Artemis shakily sat down on the couch. Emily sat next to her, handing her some tea.

I took a deep breath. "This is going to sound completely crazy, but we need you to listen. No lashing out. No shifting. I need you to be calm." I stated.

Sam gave me a confused look but nodded. "I'm pregnant." Artemis stated.

"How?" Sam asked.

"We don't know but, first vampire." I reminded him.

"My life wasn't supposed to last this long. But what they did to me made me this. Nothing about me can be explained easily. It never has been easy to explain or figure out what I can do. My guess is this is one of those abilities." Artemis said.

"This baby is going to be different. It's going to be part shifter, part vampire. A hybrid of two creatures. I'm asking you, are you going to be a problem?" I stated. My eyes hardened waiting for an answer.

"This baby is going to be blood. It'll be, pack. And the pack gets protected no matter what." Sam stated. I sighed in relief.

I didn't want to fight the pack but I will. Heck, I'd kill them. If I had to. For Artemis and this baby, I would let the world burn.

After a while Artemis fell asleep on the couch. I went outside on the porch. I held my head in my hands.

I felt someone sit next to me. I looked up at Sam. "Penny for your thoughts."

"How about a quarter not to tell them." I joked. Sam let out a small chuckle.

"Seriously, what's on your mind?" He asked me.

"You know my dad. How am I supposed to be a dad when I had him as my only parent figure?" I asked.

"We're not our father's Paul. We never will be." Sam stated.

"Yeah, but how do you know that?" I asked with tears in my eyes.

"I can't be sure. No one can be. The future always changes just ask Cullen. But you, Paul, are a good man. And you will be a good father." A tear fell but I quickly wiped it away.

"I love her so much. And I never thought about having children. But when she said those two words, my whole world shifted." I stated. "And if I fail I lose them both. I can't fail at this."

"Everyone fails. Parents fail all the time. But you learn. And you get up. And you fix it. And most of all you stay and you love them. That's what a parent is." Sam stated.

"But I didn't have that. My mom left when I was 6. My dad is never here and when he is I don't go home. I don't know how to love. But I love Artemis. I love that baby." I let the tears fall.

"Then, you're already a better parent than our fathers." I let out a bitter laugh. It wasn't that hard to beat them in the best father competition. "You're going to stay and you're going to love them just as much as you love that girl. Because they are you two. That baby will be your flesh and blood. I know you Paul, you're going to get through this. And you'll be a better man for it." Sam stated.

I nodded. "What do you want it to be?" Sam asked with a smile.

"That's tough. I would love to have a girl, but I obviously know nothing about them. I think I want a boy. But for the most part as long as they're healthy I don't care." I stated.

"So a boy. What names do you like?" Sam asked.

"I don't know. Something that means something." I thought for a moment. "Apollo. That means something."

"What does it mean?" I smiled and shook my head.

"You'll have to wait for that story." I stated. Sam chuckled and shook his head.

"Okay make me wait. But I can't wait for the story. But I'm more excited to see the story you two are making." Sam then stood and walked back into the house.

I smiled. It was going to be okay.