Where We Come Alive

When I arrived in the hall, my mum told me that Sara, the packhouse's official caterer, wanted me in the kitchen. I was quite happy to go there and intended to stay there as long as possible to avoid Nick.

I am in the kitchen with the caterer to instruct her and her staff about how the night would go. I want them to know what to do tonight and when. Everything has to follow precise rules when it comes to Alphas' ceremonies.

Sara and her staff are brilliant. I've known her for as far as I remember, as my parents have always trusted her for every event. I've never stopped doing the same since I started taking my mum's role as I was growing up.
Each meeting with other Alphas, every event such as matings or births – Sara was the official caterer of the packhouse.
If I wanted to be more accurate, I should say she is the one for the whole pack. Her team and she are undoubtedly the best. That's why I wanted them tonight.

Just like me, Sara likes things to run well during official events. The waiters' suits have to be perfect. Tonight, they will wear dark blue uniforms with just some touch of gray details, so they perfectly fit the atmosphere.
Then, the dishes have to be perfect. The tableware is checked repeatedly, over and over again.
Food has to be cooked perfectly, and elements will be put neatly on the plates before serving.
Perfection is expected, and we jointly and flawlessly rehearse everything.

First, the guests will be welcomed in the dining room. All decorations have been arranged and over-viewed by me.
Each petal of the bouquets has been checked. Silver candles are all put on the perfectly ironed tablecloths. Each element has its defined place. Candles circle the bouquets that embody Eli and Julie, the new Alpha and Luna of our pack. The candles symbolize the wolves, gathering to accept them as the new leaders. Not a threat in this flawless picture.
People will stand in the free space during the first part of the evening. It will also be the dancefloor area after dinner. Servers will go through the crowd with trays. On some, there will be drinks; on others, there will be appetizers.

Then we will have the ceremony. Everybody will face the platform where my father and mother will pass their role to Elijah and Julie.
While the ceremony is ongoing, Sara and her team will have to prepare the entrée, a salmon and avocado salad. It will be served just after that.
Then will come the main course, rosbif with potatoes and some fresh veggies.

Finally, a terrific chocolate cake was required by both Julie and Eli. Both are crazy about chocolate, and it would be a sacrilege for them not to have one tonight.
Part of the waiters will take the empty plates between each course. Meanwhile, the others will serve the new dishes.

As we are finishing our dinner rehearsal, someone mind-links me.

Liv, can you come to Dad's office? Like right now.
As I hear Eli's voice, I comprehend that something is up. He seems nervous.
Eli is a person full of energy, and he rarely worries. When he sounds like he is today, it means things can be terrible. Except when it concerns Julie.
When it is about his concerns towards Julie, he can be a little bit over-emotional.
I leave Sara and the team in the kitchen and climb the stairs straight to the second floor, where my father's office is. I almost run as I feel Eli's nervousness getting more prominent every second that goes by. I wonder what reason can create such an emotion in my brother.

As I join my dad's office, I understand that something more important than I could imagine is up.

The room is naturally very imposing. The walls are made of dark wood. The old wooden floor is lighter than the walls. All the marks on it show how many meetings took place here, through the decades.
Only some red carpets were put in to try to make it cozier. This attempt was vain, but that was a nice try, anyway.
The bookshelves are made with the same dark wood material and are so large that you look like some tiny dwarf beside them.
Even the dark red curtains can create discomfort when you are not used to them.
Because of its look, the office causes you to feel so small and yells at you that you are under the Alpha's mercy.
I've always suspected that my father did that on purpose, so people know that this is no place for arguing.