Chapter Fourteen

Updated: January 21, 2022
Edited: June 29, 2023

Btzzz... Btzzz... Btzzz...

Beomgyu heaved his backpack, now filled with clothes, toiletries, a book, snacks, and a few drinks that couldn't be stuffed into the cooler, onto his bed. On his bed was already a duffle bag stuffed with a few thin but warm blankets, a pillow, and a few other necessities. Then, he glanced over at his buzzing phone on his desk.

A picture of Yeonjun sticking his tongue out with his eyes forced in different directions showed up on Beomgyu's phone, and he reached over, answering the call, "hello?"

"Gyu-Gyu! We are waiting for you downstairs. The bus will be here in like..." there was a pause.

"Ten minutes," said a voice in the back that sounded like Soobin.

"Yeah, ten minutes," Yeonjun repeated.

The long-haired boy glanced at the digital clock on his desk, 4:25 PM. "Oh, right, yeah, I'll be there soon."

The bus, which will be bringing the five of them to the campsite, was scheduled to arrive at 4:35 PM at the building where Beomgyu lived. Because this apartment building was more towards the center of the city and a lot of students have easy access to it, it was the spot chosen by the school for pick up.

"M'kay! See you in a little!"

"Mhm!"

"Bye, love you!"

Beomgyu rolled his eyes, knowing the older wouldn't see it. "Love you too, Hyung."

Then, he hung up, and Beomgyu stuffed his phone into his hoodie pocket. He reached for his phone charger plugged against the wall's outlet and pulled it out. Rolling it up, he stuffed the charger into one of the side pockets in his backpack—there were, thankfully, charging stations at the campsite, so they didn't have to be stuck in the middle of the mountains with no electricity or social media.

"Son, are you ready?" Called a voice from outside his room.

"Yeah, I'm leaving!" Immediately, he put his backpack on and grabbed his duffle bag. Leaving his room, he closed the door behind him and made his way down the hall to greet his mom in the kitchen, who was crouching in front of the cooler, making sure everything was packed and nothing was forgotten.

Seeing her son, the woman closed the plastic box and wheeled it to where he was. "You are sure you have everything?" She turned Beomgyu around, gently tapping the backpack to make sure it was filled.

"Yes, Eomma. I have everything."

"Did you bring extra money?"

"Mn. I have a couple hundred-thousand won just in case. I'm sure the Hyungs also brought money too."

"Alright, alright. Eomma will stop bothering you. I know your friends are waiting downstairs." She smoothed out some of Beomgyu's hairs and gently rubbed his shoulders. "You have fun, okay? And be careful of bears. I don't want my baby hurt."

Rolling his eyes playfully, Beomgyu pulled away from his mother's soft grasp. "I will, Eomma, and there won't be any bears. If there are, you know that this bear is much scarier!" He puffed out his chest, tilted his chin up, and pounded his chest with a fist confidently.

His mom laughed, "okay. Here," she handed the handlebar of the cooler to him. "You go now."

"Mhm." Beomgyu turned around and walked over to the front door to put his shoes on.

"Remember to take photos and send them to us, okay? Eomma heard that the campsite you're going to is quite pretty."

Beomgyu giggled when he finished putting on his shoes. "I will." He grabbed the cooler and picked up his white and gray duffle bag again. "Tell Hyung and Appa that I will miss them."