prologue ⎯ openings

WHITE QUEEN

prologue

♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖

  THE CAR WAS SPEEDING ahead on the road, passing trees and cars at an alarming velocity. All around, trees lined the streets, blocking the view of the warm sunlight that had been streaming down that morning. It was a beautiful day in most senses - but that did not make it a good one.

  Inside the car, two young girls were silently watching the scenery pass them by as their mother drove with reckless abandon. They didn't understand what was happening, but with both girls being extremely clever, mixed with the fact that their mother had been silently crying and tapping her foot gave away the fact that something was not as it should be.

  Beth turned her head over to her sister, her brows furrowing as she saw that Sophia was anxiously biting her lip, something she only did when she was in extremely nervous situations. If you were to later ask Sophia what she remembered from that day, she would come up at a blank, only recalling certain things - but one aspect was for certain, the car had settled into an eerie dread ever since they had stepped into it.

  Sophia could feel her sisters' eyes on her, and she slowly turned her face to meet Beth's questioning stare. Only one year apart - with Sophia being the oldest - both girls were extremely close; as close as sisters could get. And nothing would change that, not even the events that were about to occur.

  "Mom?" Sophia spoke up slowly, her hands brushing the blond hair away from her face "where are we going?"

  The question hung in the air for a moment, because although nine-year-old Sophia had failed to realize it, she had just asked the hardest question. Where were they going? It was hard to say really, but it would most certainly not be a good place.

  Beth turned her head to stare out the window as the trees started to appear with less frequency. Like her sister, she started feeling an immeasurable sense of dread as the car sped down the road. As the vehicle came closer and close to an old bridge, Sophia slowly grabbed her younger sister's hand, holding it tightly in her balled-up fist.

  "What are you doing?" Beth asked quietly, her eyes going to their mother.

  The woman clutched the wheel so tightly that her knuckles turned white and in her eyes, you could see a thousand different scenarios and answers to her daughters' questions. She slowly turned her eyes from the road and looked in the mirror so her eyes could meet the two girls in the back - one last time.

  "Close your eyes girls."

♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖