01. goodbye and good riddance

WHITE QUEEN

chapter 01. goodbye and good riddance

 goodbye and good riddance

[1963]

♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖♚♔♛♕♝♗♞♘♜♖

[ Sophia's POV ]

  "WHO DO YOU RECKON THEY'RE HERE FOR?" I heard Jolene say, her tone sounding spiteful.

  I couldn't exactly blame her. After spending six years in that god-forsaken place, it was easy for me to be jealous whenever some girl who had arrived a month ago was able to leave. 

  Walking out of the bathroom, I climbed onto the bed beside Jolene and Beth, placing my head in my hands and watching a couple walk out of a car and into the orphanage. My brows furrowed in curiosity as I watched the woman look up at the window, her eyes straying on Beth and me for a few moments before she smiled.

  "Are we meant to know who she is?" I whispered to Beth, feeling no need to include Jolene - who frankly, looked upset enough - into our conversation.

  Beth simply shrugged her shoulders, her fingers brushing some of her bangs out of her eyes. I had gotten tired of telling her to grow those things out; every time I tried, she reminded me that Mrs.Deardorff would likely get upset with her if she dared change the haircut she had kept for the past six years.

  "I'm going to get something to eat." Jolene spoke up after a moment of silence, already lifting herself out of bed and putting on her clothes "y'all coming?" she asked, eyebrows raised in annoyance.

  "Soon," Beth spoke quietly, her eyes not leaving the car that was parked just outside of our window.

  Once Jolene finally left the room, I turned to Beth with furrowed brows, my expression softly urging to say what was on her mind. Ever since our mother had passed, Beth had been quieter, even around me - but I never pushed, I knew how sensitive she could be. Even though she did not show it, one simple thing could send her spiraling into a self-destructive path.

  I had learned to be careful around her ever since the accident with the little green pills. Our mother was gone, father was nowhere to be seen and we only had each other - I wasn't sure if I would have been able to handle losing Beth that day. It felt silly, for me to be as protective as I was of her, after all, she was fifteen - with my age being a mere year older than her, sixteen. 

  "You feel like telling me about why you have that lost look in your eyes?" I asked her, taking the cigarette that Jolene had left on the windowsill and taking a puff out of it before putting it out.

  "They told me about it last week," Beth started speaking "I didn't know if it was true, so I didn't want to tell you - you know, get your hopes up for nothing."