|| Currahee [2] ||

°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°

"You people are at the position of attention." The loud voice of lieutenant Sobel shouted to the men and now lady. "Private Perconte, have you been blousing your trousers over your boots like a paratrooper?"

"No, sir."

"Then explain the creases."

"No excuse, sir."

"Volunteering for the parachute infantry is one thing, Perconte but you've got a long way to prove that you belong here. Your weekend pass is revoked."

He traveled to the next person. "Name?"

"Luz, George."

"Dirt in the rear side aperture, pass revoked."

"When did you sew on these chevrons, Sergeant Lipton?"

"Yesterday, sir."

"Long enough to notice this. Revoked."

"Sir."

"Name?"

"Malarky, Donald G."

"Isn't Malarky slang for bullshit."

"Yes, sir."

"Rust on the butt plate hinge spring, private bullshit. Revoked." He carried in. "Name?"

"Liebgott, Josef D. Sir."

"Rusty bayonet, Liebgott. Do you want to kill Germans?"

"Yes, sir."

"Not with this."

I stood next to Lieutenant Winters so I hoped he'd just go past me. But no. "A woman in my company, name?"

"Volkovna, Anastasia C, Sir."

"And she's a commi. Well let's see if you can keep up."

"Thanks to these men and there infractions, everyman who had a weekend has lost it. Change into your pt gear we're running Currahee. You have two minutes."

Winters turned around. "2nd platoon fall out."

All the men ran back to their barracks to put on their pt gear, as the officers went to theirs. I had put my pt stuff on under my normal gear this morning just in case so I didn't have to take that long.

Once we got to the mountain everyone fell into formation and we started running.

"What do we run?"

"Currahee."

"What does Currahee mean?"

"we stand alone."

"How far up, how far down."

"3 miles up, 3 miles down."

Anastasia watched as the men of easy listened to Sobel insult and belittle them. How someone could be so cruel to people, she did not know.

"Volkovna, you seriously think you're cut out for my company. You're weak." Sobel shouted while running behind her. "You Russians think you're so strong, look at you communists now."

That one hurt, her country was being invaded by the people they thought they could trust. No one thought the Germans would invade Russia.

And they were, the worst thing was that it was her home city first. Her family was still there, well she hoped they were still there.

Snapping back to reality she started to run ahead of the men trying to get the top first. Getting closer to the top the started to break out of formation.

"You have 13 minutes to get the top if you wanna be in the paratroopers." Sobel shouted at the men. "Hi-ho Silver."

Anastasia hit the stone at the top before turning around and running to the bottom. She fell to the grown trying to catch her breath as she watched the rest of easy company run down the hill.

Winters walked over to where she was sitting." How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." She gave him a small smile.

"Good." He smiled back at her. "See you at lunch."

°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°~°

Anastasia had spent the last 15 minutes hunched over a toilet.

She had not eaten much that morning and then had to run Currahee so her body wasn't taking everything very well.

Once she felt like everything had emptied from her stomach, she moved to lay her body against the door. They had been given a 1 hour lunch break so she didn't need to be anywhere for a while.

She felt more bile come from stomach causing her to move back toward the toilet. Nothing was coming out anymore, her stomach was completely empty.

She stood up from the toilet and flushed everything down. Anastasia then washed her hands and fixed her uniform and hair.

When walking into the mess hall, all she heard were whispers. After the men heard about where she was from they gave up on trying to be nice.

She'd been called all kinds of names. Commi. Communist. Commi whore. The last one came from when the men started trying to figure out how she got into the army.

Woman were allowed to enlist in Russia but how did she get into the American army.

She walked past the tables of men and straight to where lieutenant Winters was stood getting his food.

"Afternoon, Volkovna." He said looking at her.

"Afternoon." She smiled at him. Then she looked at the food.

How would she make it look like she was eating but also not actually eating. So she took a spoon of rice and some gravy. That looked like enough food.

Nixon looked at her plate when the two sat down." Are you sure that enough food?"

"Uhm, yes. I'm not that hungry right now."

Nixon continued. "You never seem to be hungry."

I bawled my fist tightly trying to distract myself from what was happening. Luckily someone else sat down at the table.

Winters and Nixon nodded at the man in greeting.

"Lieutenant Speirs this is lieutenant Volkovna, our new transfer from Russia."