🏮49. Fortis Returns

Fortis knelt on one knee, in a slightly darkened room, in front of a self proclaimed king, who was sitting on a throne. He was none other than the master of the black market, 'King Vlasma', who had bought up large areas of land and declared himself a king. In reality, he was Fourth Prince Vladimir Haco of the Corsain Kingdom.

His spies were everywhere, his businesses, and connections vast. It was to the point that none would openly oppose him and so he had become quite bored. It was at this time that 'Lady Jinks' appeared, boldly breaking into his compound, killing his men, and stealing his property.

He was conflicted between desiring to crush her, to maintain his dignity, and wanting to play with her, to assuage his boredom. In the end, he could choose neither option and so decided to send his little spy to investigate her further. Because of Seven's intel, he knew Lady Jinks real identity as Arabella Amber Frost, the daughter of a noble and the current fiance of the first prince. Although she kept her secret identity well hidden, she was incapable of tricking Seven. He'd acquired Seven as a prisoner of war, as a young child, and had raised her to be his peerless spy. She knew nothing, but to follow his every order.

Seven had been too young when she was captured to remember her name, but she remembered the kind eyes and soft hugs of her parents. Her old memories were the only form of kindness that she had ever known. So late at night when she was deep in slumber, little flashes of memory would replay over and over in her dreams. She was lonely, but it was difficult to break free from everything she knew.

He glanced towards a guard at his side who immediately walked over to Fortis and slapped her across the face. The force of the hit knocked her down and made her slide across the floor.

"I will decide when you will go and when you will stay let this be a reminder," said Vlasma.

"Yes master, please forgive my impertinent behavior," said Seven, also known as Fortis.

Vlasma looked over to the right where his other guard silently watched the exchange with a slightly disappointed expression on his face. What he wouldn't give to be the one allowed to slap Seven. Seeing her skin turn pink under his hands and feeling her cheek swell would please him greatly. His dark brown eyes became like crescent moons while looking at her and holding a wooden box. Seven looked away while trying to suppress a shiver that traveled up her spine and caused the little hairs on her arms to stand up on end.

She had noticed that little gleam in Raphel's eyes while he watched her being hit. She knew that some day the building tension between the two of them would come to a head. He had been closely following her for a while now with his eyes. It seemed that wherever she moved his eyes would follow. Whenever she had to be somewhere that he wasn't, she would feel some relief, but more recently he would find reasons to be wherever she would be.

"Do you have the item I asked for?" Vlasma asked while holding a hand out towards Raphel.

Raphel handed Vlasma the box with a smirk on his face.

"Was it any trouble?" said Vlasma.

"None whatsoever. It was my pleasure. He actually started begging and trying to kiss my feet." His eyes glowed while he chuckled. Noticing the bored look on Vlasma's face, he cleared his throat and stepped back.

Fortis could feel her stomach trying to turn itself inside out when she noticed Raphel licking his lips at her. When he noticed her looking, he winked at her mischievously. She quickly looked away, so that she didn't accidentally encourage him, but it was too late. She could hear him chuckling low in his throat.

Out of all of Vlasma's guards, Raphel scared her the most. Everything was completely silent when it involved him. All of the other guards had rumors going around about them, but not Raphel. No one talked about him, usually no one even looked at him, if they could help it. He was a mystery. Except for the fact that from time to time, he would show interest in a girl, and then she would mysteriously disappear. If anyone asked about the missing girl, everyone acted like there had never been such a girl, and they didn't know what you were talking about.

Once in a while, she noticed some of the girls giving her pitying looks out of the corner of her eyes. However, no one approached her to talk ever since Raphel had started showing interest in her. Even Eight, her best friend, stopped talking to her.

Fortis had turned eighteen two months ago, and ever since her birthday party, Raphel wouldn't leave her alone. Today, like every other day, he wore an impeccably tailored all black suit. His dark brown eyes glittered dangerously in his tanned face. His slightly hooked nose was above his surprisingly plush lips that were usually in a smirk, showing his perfectly straight white teeth. He had a strong jaw and was well toned with a perfectly flat stomach. His thick black hair was cut short and slightly parted to the side. Still, although he was quite attractive, most women stayed away. Most anyway, a few were attracted to him like a moth to a flame. Anyone who approached him, was never seen or heard from again.

Fortis got up and stepped forward as she was offered the box. First the smell of death assaulted her senses as she took the box and looked down at the wooden top. Every time she smelled this gut-retching scent, she could feel her stomach heave, and her jaw start to water. She kept on trying to tell her body that there was no fear of her trying to eat the nasty rotten thing, but her body wouldn't listen to her. It was constantly telling her that she should definitely not attempt to eat the nasty smelly thing. She's not a cannibal, okay! Her stupid body wouldn't listen though, and insisted on reminding her not to eat it every time.

"Check it," said Vlasma.

Fortis clenched her jaw to brace herself as she opened the box. Inside, her eyes were instantly met with another set of eyes, his like a dead fish. They were wide in fear and horror; yellowed. Tears and eye gunk were dried on his face with globs of boogers. His jaw was locked open in a permanent expression of pain. In a silent scream that would never be heard again. Cuts were covering his face, like someone had made sushi from his flesh. Still, she was able to tell who this severed head had originally belonged to. Fortis quickly closed the box and swallowed several times to stop herself from throwing up.

"This is the manager that 'Lady Jinks' requested," Fortis said.

"Good. Be on your way, but make sure to report to me every day. If you don't, I'll be sure to send Raphel to check on you. I think we both know how messy that could turn out."

Fortis glanced at Raphel who looked her deep in the eyes and bit his bottom lip. Fortis quickly looked away.

"Understood, Master," she said and disappeared while carrying the box, like a puff of smoke.

"You certainly have a way with women," Vlasma said while glancing at Raphel.

Raphel chuckled. "They love me," he said.

After what seemed like forever, Fortis landed just on the outskirts of the Shadow Forest where she was told that 'Lady Jinks' would be. She repeatedly glanced around her surroundings for danger. She had to be vigilant while the smell of death swirled around her when traveling in a mana forest. Although she had quite a bit of confidence in her abilities, she did have limitations. There was, after all, only so much she could do against a hoard of bloodthirsty mafou if they showed up.