Part 29

Jane was pleased to see Charlotte so well settled. She did not use the word happy, for it was plain to see that marriage to such a man as Mr Collins could not quite be enough to provoke happiness in their clever, funny friend. But she was content. More so married than she ever had been single, in any case. Jane had once well understood Charlotte's dilemma. It was not a happy lot to be single, and Jane felt the sting of shame that she, having quickly won the attentions of Mr Bingley, had felt herself quite fortunate to avoid the need of such a compromise.

How rapidly are our roles reversed now, she marvelled, nodding and smiling as Charlotte went into raptures over a particular print of fabric she had sourced to cover a chair that was, she confessed, a little worn. Charlotte took such pride in the ownership and maintenance of all these things, and a house that she was mistress of, that Jane could not help but think she had had a better approach to all things matrimonial all along. She, Jane, had pledged to marry for love and love alone. She had not been without her difficulties, of course, but in the end, had walked away from not one but two professions of affection from gentlemen either one who would have been far preferable to spend a dozen lifetimes with than Mr Collins. Why did I do it? she wondered miserably, by some miracle keeping a smile fixed in place for her sister and friend to see and concealing her true inner turmoil.

"Ah, here is Mr Collins now," Charlotte remarked, standing and opening the window a little way, enough that she might call out of it to hail the rapidly approaching figure of her husband.

"You have missed the arrival of our guests, my dear. I trust you have accomplished all that needed doing around the parish?"

"Yes, yes. Are you - I will join you." Mr Collins looked for a brief moment as if he might attempt to climb in through the window, before shaking himself and hurrying around the side of the house, to emerge normally in the doorway to the parlour a moment later. He hesitated on the doorstep, looking to Charlotte as if to ask permission.

"Perhaps we ought to go to the main parlour," she conceded, glancing at his mud-caked shoes and eager to preserve the sanctity of her carpets. "There is a little more room."

"A fine idea, Mrs Collins. Fine, fine." Mr Collins clapped his hands and led the way as if the idea had been his all along. Glancing at her sister, Jane rose to her feet and followed him, drawing a breath and taking the opportunity to arrange her features into a blank smile just in time for Mr Collins to turn and greet them.

"Ah, my dear cousins! Miss Jane and Miss Elizabeth! How wonderful it is to welcome you to Hunsford at last. I dare say my wife has told you all that is necessary to know about our small parish." He peered past Jane and Elizabeth toward Charlotte. "Did you show them the house?"

"Yes," Charlotte said, with a slight hint of exasperation. "I could not hold them hostage in my parlour and wait for your return."

"No." Mr Collins looked a little disappointed, as if he rather wished she might have done just this. He conceded the point with a sniff, though, and brightened with the knowledge of the news he had brought back with him from his day's errands.

"Well, you have not yet explored the parish, I suppose. We shall do that tomorrow, for I know you will be eager to become acquainted with my parishioners and assist me in doing good works." He smiled beneficently at Jane as he said this, and she glanced over her shoulder towards Elizabeth, who had turned practically purple in her efforts to keep from laughing out loud at the obsequiousness of this comment.

"And this evening we are to dine at Rosings, is that right?" Charlotte posed this question, evidently sensing danger and leaping to offer her friends a reprieve.

"Indeed! My dear cousins, you shall be rewarded for the arduousness of your journey here by a visit to Lady Catherine de Bourgh - she is my most esteemed patroness, you recall? - at Rosings." He sat back in his chair and beamed at them as if expecting this announcement to be met with great exultation.

"It is kind of her to include us in your invitation," Jane offered, when nobody had said a word for a long moment and Mr Collins had begun to wilt a little. He brightened at this, eager to leap on Jane's words.

"Kind, yes indeed! Lady Catherine is quite the kindest, the most gracious, the most elegant -"

"She welcomes guests of her own, I believe?" Charlotte asked, again seeking to stem the flow of her husband's unfettered enthusiasm for the absent Lady Catherine de Bourgh. "Her nephew?"

"Her nephew!" Mr Collins swept a glance at each of his cousins in turn. "Indeed, I have very much enjoyed getting to know Lady Catherine's nephew. Rather rough-mannered, but it is understandable in one of his position. And quite clever, I am surprised to say! He quite held his own over a small matter of theology I dared to raise..."

He continued talking but Jane turned to look at Lizzy, wondering if her sister was as confused and befuddled by Mr Collins's words as she was. Why ever does he speak of Mr Darcy as if he had not met the man before? As if he were a stranger? Her frown darkened as she ran back over her cousin's words. He had certainly been speaking of Lady Catherine's nephew so there was no possibility he meant Georgiana.

I suppose this is the first time he had been afforded much opportunity to speak to Mr Darcy. And I dare say he does seem different to the aloof figure he left behind in Hertfordshire. Have not we all remarked upon how changed Mr Darcy has been by love? Jane nodded to herself, eager to accept this explanation. It is merely that this new Mr Darcy is like a stranger, so charming and agreeable in comparison to his previous self. Well, I cannot say I disagree. She risked one more glance at Elizabeth, whose cheeks were pink and whose eyes danced with amusement - at Mr Collins himself, rather than anything he said, Jane fancied - and thought that Mr Darcy was not the only person upon whom love had wrought an improvement.