007

The royal court was in a flurry that morning, loud voices up in arms as the viziers and officials debated the latest of the king's decisions. Moments ago, King Sneferu had announced that he was to embark on a tour of Lower Egypt, and that he was to be accompanied only by one of his sons—Prince Kha.

The announcement had brought delight to the faces of those allied to the queen's Sh'akhten clan, but equal disdain to the court's other major faction, the Nekhebets. This was the not the first time that the king was bringing princes along for his tours of the land, but it had always been Kanefer before.

"Your Majesty, with all due respect, Prince Kha is still young and inexperienced. He might not be able to provide the support you require while touring the lands," Ahmose said, not disguising the displeasure in his voice at the slightest. "Perhaps Prince Kanefer would be more suited, as per past precedence."

The king's tours were no trivial matter. It was a golden opportunity for a prince to gain exposure and win over the people. A rite of passage for anyone who wished to inherit the throne of Upper and Lower Egypt. That the king was choosing to bring Kha instead of Kanenfer this time was an indication that the king's favour had shifted, and the political implications were great.

"Ahmose, Prince Kanefer has already had plenty of chances to accompany His Majesty on these trips. Is it not time to give his younger brothers the opportunity?"

A smug smile tugged upon the oily lips of the bulbous man who had spoken, standing on the opposite side of the hall from the greying Ahmose. This was Omari, another of the king's senior viziers and brother to Queen Hetepheres.

"Duty to king and kingdom is not a honey cake that should be carelessly portioned out," Ahmose snapped. "We should choose the most appropriate person for the task and not treat it like a trivial game."

"Are you questioning His Majesty's decision then, my dear Ahmose?"

"Enough!" King Sneferu bellowed, slamming his palm down onto the gold-painted armrest of his throne.

The great hall fell silent. All eyes rested upon their irate monarch. Blue veins at his temples visibly throbbing, Sneferu's thin lips set themselves in a harsh line as his steely gaze swept his sea of courtiers.

"Omari is right," he declared. "Every prince of Egypt should understand his land and people. My sons will all serve in this court one day, and it is imperative that they are able to provide wise counsel to whoever sits on this throne." He ran his toned fingers along the surface of the armrest, pensive. "I have made my decision. Kha will come with me this time. Kanefer and Nefermaat will serve jointly as regent of the kingdom in my absence, aided by Ahmose and Omari. Are there any further objections to these arrangements?"

A quiet murmur went about the room, but no one dared raise anything further. Ahmose was still glaring angrily at the gleeful Omari, with Kanefer standing stoically by the side, his thick brows stitched tightly in deep thought.

"Good." Sneferu got up from his seat, waving his hand in dismissal. "This session is called to a close. We depart for Saqqara in twelve days."

#

"Me? Go on a tour of Lower Egypt with Father?" an incredulous voice burst out.

The court officials weren't the only ones who had been taken by surprise. Kha himself was reeling in disbelief when Nefermaat had stopped by his quarters bearing the news. Since he had no official appointment in the royal court yet, he had not been privy to the heated discussion that had taken place earlier in the day.

"Why the reaction? One might think you weren't willing to go," Nefermaat said. He was reclining comfortably on a wooden chaise, cheerily popping dates into his mouth one after the other.