018

Their presence at the temple had been expected, for there was a junior priest waiting for them at the entrance when the two princes arrived. Kha followed behind Nefermaat as they were led through the pylons and into the Great Temple of Ptah, a mixture of anticipation and anxiety transforming into a mess of crawling beetles inside his chest. The fiery torches cast imposing shadows of the statues that lined both sides of the path, giving the temple grounds an air of solemnity that was absent in the day.

They wound their way down a few passageways and corridors before coming to a stop. The priest knocked and pushed the doors open, ushering them in.

Kha looked around the room, his gaze sweeping the impressive colonnades and carvings on the walls, before finally settling upon a slight figure seated at the opposite end of the room, partially hidden under the mottled shade of a potted palm. His eyes widened.

"Mereneith!" he cried, rushing over immediately.

The girl looked equally stunned to see him.

"Kha? What are you doing here? Are you alright?" she asked.

He placed both hands on her shoulders, but quickly retracted them when he saw her wince. There were purplish-red lacerations that lined her arms and shoulders, forming a frightening web. His heart clenched.

"I should be the one asking you that question," he said softly. He knelt down before her, taking her bruised hands in his own. "I'm so sorry, Mereneith. This is all my fault." Tears welled up in his eyes, reflecting the shame inside his heart.

Mereneith shook her head. "I made the decision myself. We always knew what the risks were," she said. "Don't worry, I'm fine. I'm recovering well. There's something I need to tell you, Kha, the Ak'heka crystals—"

"Father!" Nefermaat's voice interrupted in the background.

Kha and Mereneith turned their heads towards the door and found the second prince prostrating before none other than King Sneferu himself, albeit a much frailer version. The king was being supported by the queen on one side, and a wooden cane on the other.

"Father..." Kha called out in disbelief.

The king entered the room slowly. His legs were trembling visibly under his own weight, every step laboured and strained, yet he still held his head high with the same majestic dignity that he had always commanded. He made his way past Kha and Mereneith, sitting down in an empty chair at the front of the room. The queen took a step back.

"You must have many questions," the king started, beckoning for everyone to rise, "but first, I would like you to answer one of mine." He burst into a fit of coughs, droplets of blood splattering over the linen handkerchief he brought up to his lips.

Kha's expression darkened. The king had awoken, but his condition still seemed dire. He exchanged a glance with Mereneith, who patted him gently on the back of the hand as if to ask him to be patient.

King Sneferu took a deep breath, then he lifted the golden ankh pendant from his neck, setting it down on the side table beside him.

"Which one of you is responsible for this?" he asked.

"Father, I can explain, this—"

His voice trailed off when he saw Mereneith take a step forward and drop to her knees.

"Your Majesty, it was my idea. When Prince Kha and Prince Nefermaat found out that you had been poisoned, they wanted to find a way to save Your Majesty's life. The physicians had no solutions, so I suggested tapping on the healing properties of the Ak'heka crystals," she said.