Chapter 1

CW: Mentions of death, mentions of abuse

The all too familiar darkness in his room didn't scare him anymore, neither did the rats running across the floor every once in a while. JIsung could see the moon through a small window, it being the only reminder of a world outside of the four walls he was locked up in. Its shining light made him dream about a life in peace, without pain or abuse.

After his parent's death eight years ago, he was forced to move in with his uncle. That was when it started. The first weeks he would lock him in the room only at night and didn't try to harm him in any way just yet. At some point, Jisung decided to confront him about it. He couldn't find a reason for his uncle to lock him in at night. That was his first mistake. From then on, the man would hit him for every word he said - every noise he made -, only stopping when Jisung was lying on the ground in an unconscious state. Ever since then, the young boy hadn't left the room once. One time a week he would get a bowl with cold water for him to clean himself, probably just because his smell became unbearable. Up to this day, he visits him every night, using him for his nasty desires, punishing him whenever someone else has ruined his mood. 

The sudden sound of a key turning in the lock pulled Jisung out of his thoughts. He sat up straight, staring at the door in anticipation. He knew what was about to come and he wanted it to be over as quickly as possible, knowing full well it was going to be torture.

"Hello, little doll. Did you wait for me already? Uncle didn't have a nice day today and someone just has to let him relieve his stress for a while", the man said with a creepy voice, walking into the room without turning the light on. Jisung gulped. A cold, rough hand snaked its way up his chest to his throat, immediately choking him when he didn't reply. "I asked you a question, didn't I?! You bratty slut!", loud screams came out of the old man's mouth and Jisung shuddered in fear. Although, something was different today. Usually, he would always make sure the door fell into its lock, making sure his nephew had no chance to ever escape, but today there was a small gap between the door and the lock, letting in just enough light to tell Jisung it was still open. He hesitated for a second, the last time he had left this room was years ago and he didn't even know of the front door was unlocked but he wouldn't get another chance, he had to take this one. With all the strength he had, Jisung kicked into his uncle's balls, taking his chance to escape as the man let go of his victim and fell back in pain. 

Jisung ran over to the door, pushing it open and sprinting to the only door that looked like a front door in pure panic. "HEY! DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE THIS HOUSE OR ELSE I'LL KILL YOU!", he heard him yell and run after him. The teenager's breathing was hitched and his body was aching, not used to this much activity but he couldn't give up. Luckily, the front door wasn't locked. Jisung stormed out of the house, running across the street and around the next corner before his uncle could sport where he had gone. "GOD DAMMIT!", he yelled and shut his door close.

Jisung carefully looked back at the house, seeing him pack his things. A wave of relief hit him, now that he was finally free, and he started running. He didn't know where he could go or what he should do next but he was determined to get as far away from this man as possible and if it would cost him all his power.

It didn't take the young boy long to realize that running away at the latest hour of the night in only a ripped tank top and underwear wasn't a smart idea. It was winter, currently snowing to be exact, and he had nowhere to stay. He didn't know exactly where he was but probably in Seoul since he had recognized the Han River when he ran past it a few minutes ago. His legs were burning from the cold air and running for so long, his feet were bleeding because he had no shoes on, his head was aching from the severe lack of sleep and he felt like he would collapse any second. Trying to stay awake, Jisung focused on all the things he could see on the streets while walking around aimlessly. "Oh, a poster of a cat and an address. The poor thing probably went missing", he mumbled to himself, trying to read the words written on the peace of paper that was taped to a street light. He hadn't read in years, nor gone to school. And since he had dropped out of the elementary school at the age of eight, he never never properly learned how to read and understand most words. But he did understand that someone's cat had gone missing and he felt sorry for them, although he was probably the last person to be able to help.