II

"When did you first fall in love?"

"I think, I first fell in love when I was in fifth grade with this boy who kept his glass ruler in the sunlight and made rainbows on my desk with it." Saiber, Stardust and Sheets

---- 

II.

March 18, 1812

Dear Jem,

I hope this letter finds you, Mother, and our family well, as always.

Belle and I are settling into our new home and are enjoying filling it with things that belong to us. I am especially enjoying seeing Belle take command of her own space and asserting her opinions and her authority over what is hers. It truly delights me.

But I must confess, writing to inform you of the progress of Belle's dress shop or our flat was not the purpose of this letter. I returned home this evening to some rather interesting news that I thought you would most definitely care to hear.

Belle was visited by two customers only this afternoon with whom we all share an acquaintance. Mrs Martin and her daughter, your Miss Cressie, came to order a ballgown for the latter's debut for this upcoming Season. It seems she did not fall off the face of the Earth after all! She is in London and preparing to enter into the marriage mart that is London in the summer.

What you do with this information is entirely up to you, brother, but I thought you would want to know. While I do not know the particulars of your acquaintance with Miss Martin, or how you parted, I do know that you were terribly fond of her, and that her absence has caused you pain.

No matter how we both enjoy vexing each other (you more than me!), I do sincerely wish for your happiness and felicity in your future union. Be the lucky woman Miss Martin, or another.

Should you decide to descend upon London in the near future, know that your brother and sister-in-law would be happy to host you. However, if you would prefer not to encroach upon the hospitality of two newlyweds who are so enjoying their privacy, I would tell you that my bedroom in the home of Jack and Claire is currently vacant.

I look forward to your reply.

Your brother,

Peter

Jem had read his brother's letter at least five times before he had left for home, and another time through before he had walked through the door of the Denham family home in the Ashwood village.

Jem had begun the letter dryly, truly wondering why his brother had sent an express to inform him of the progress of the dress shop. While he was certainly pleased for his brother and new sister-in-law, Jem had very little interest in silks and satins. But Peter had predicted this, and the true purpose of his letter had floored Jem.

The very idea that he knew exactly where Cressie was felt ... troubling. He felt extremely unsettled in his stomach, which was not the way he imagined he would feel if he had ever had the chance to see her again. But Jem presumed that he felt this way because of his terrible conduct at the Winter Assembly, and he knew that the feeling would never allay unless he apologised and corrected his behaviour.

On his walk back to his house, Jem's thoughts had momentarily strayed away from his own desire to correct the faux pas that was his panic proposal and had settled on the purpose of Cressie's being in London.

Cressie was in London to find a husband.

If he had not already felt ill, Jem's stomach churned.