People like us

"Thabo, you summon them" said sister Theresa. I was in shock.

"Sister Theresa, what do you mean, I never summoned anyone" I answered. "You do, well not intentionally. Well you see, people like us have different gifts but yours is particularly different from all of us. You call them in your sleep and weirdly, you have been calling the same creature" she answered.

"And what do you mean as people like us?" I asked. "Witches" she answered. 'Oh! This people have clearly lost their minds'. " We haven't lost our minds" answered sister Theresa. Wait, did she just read my thoughts?. "My gift is about reading minds and emotions, it just needs me to be close to that person but when I am to read mind of a fellow witch I have to make physical contact with them" she answered proudly.

"So you are?" I asked the father. " My name is father Mateyu and I am not a witch but a werewolves" he answered. This all sounded clinché like the romance stories about werewolves sister Lisa talked and loved to talk about. That meant sister Lisa too was crazy.

"Thanks for the talk but I have to go. I need to be in class" I said while standing up. I needed to leave this place. Who knew, maybe they were the ones bringing nightmares in my mind.

"What we are telling you is the truth, they will keep coming back if you can't control your mind at night, they will. Your mind is fragile. All the little walls in your mind are weakened at night when you are asleep. At least take this before you go. It will make you go to a peaceful place when you are sleeping" she said while giving me something that looked like a watch. But since there was no numbers and no arrows I knew that that thing was definitely not a watch. It was something else that I had never seen before. Something about it just screamed bloody murder.

"What makes you think that I will believe whatever you are saying, am I__ I am so not taking that thing, whatever it is" I shouted. I was furious. Mostly, I was furious at myself because I was starting to believe them. If I believed them that would mean that I am not crazy. It would mean that there is a reasonable explanation of the things I experienced.

The priest and sister Lisa were just trying to butt me up but I would not make it work for them.

"Do you want me to go in a peaceful place like where father Peter went. Did you do that to him?" I asked. Father Mateyu stood from his chair walked towards me and I unconsciously moved back. He must have seen me move because he stopped from his tracks.

"You know what happened although you dont want to believe it" he said. " I don't want to believe it because it is simply unbelievable. You all are lying and you taking advantage of my broken mind." I shouted. I was feeling exhausted. I held on the chair I had sat down a while ago. I couldn't hold myself.

"Thabo are you okay" asked Sister Theresa, concern in her voice. "Am awesome" 'perfectly awesome' I thought. I removed my hand from the chair and forced my feet to hold my body that was currently feeling heavy.

I stormed out of the office and closed the door with a loud hit. I didn't accept there watch or whatever it was. If what they were saying so just happens to be true I just had to find another reasonable strategy to make it through the night without being dragged to see another creature. I had to have a brilliant plan.

I was not going to sleep.

***

That night I waited for the nightmare to come, I stayed awake. If I was the one that summoned it through sleep I knew what I was going to do. I tossed around in the bed waiting for something that didn't exist in this world. There I thought that I didn't believe them but deep down I knew better.

I carried a rubber band in my hand, I would hit it on my hands in order for it to hurt so that I could not sleep. I knew next morning, it was going to bruise but I didn't care about that.