Ch 61: Fondest memories

Birthdays had never been nice days for Ella.

They'd always involved long, drawn-out galas in her name. An excuse for Harrion to show off his wealth and throw lavish, three-day-long parties where the best of the best were invited to dine and dance to their heart's content. It was more about him than it was about Ella. She couldn't remember one event where he'd sincerely congratulated her, other than during the obligatory toasts.

Rather than enjoying these events, she'd been corralled into playing the dutiful hostess, ever lovely and joyous. She tittered coyly and danced with the insistent members of important Houses, making small talk as empty as her smiles. And as soon as Harrion was too drunk to notice, which fortunately never took long, she'd made her escape.

No, birthdays were bleak and exhausting.

The one thing that truly brought her joy was the morning of her birthday. Her breakfast picnic. Years after year, rain or sunshine, her mother had never failed to make her a cake.

It was always the same, Ella's favourite—three-layered vanilla, each tier thick with buttercream and wildberry jam. The top was always decorated with fresh blooms and berries. It was a beautiful thing. Fresh, simple and made by her mother, most importantly. She cherished it more than any elaborate meal she could have been given.

Leaving the grounds was forbidden, as per Harrion's rules, but Minna had always made the best with what they were allowed. Throughout the years, no matter how old she got, Ella had her picnic near the ponds, in a secluded garden, the thick hedges hiding them from any prying eyes. Cake and tea were had, and her sibling and Cedric were always present. These were the rare, truly happy moments Ella had, some of her fondest memories.

These memories weighed heavy on her mind that mid-November morning, as she lay in bed a little longer than she would have. It was her first birthday away from her family. There would be no breakfast picnics, no flower cakes, no kisses from her mother, drawings from Rosie, begrudging hugs from Grayson or affectionate hair pulls from Cedric.

Still, it was also the first time she didn't dread getting up. She washed and readied herself leisurely, knowing there were no important guests she had to rush to greet. She'd just finished tugging on her jumper—a lovely, bottle-green knit Katram had made and gifted her the night before—when a knock sounded on the door.

Ella opened the door to find Callan. He greeted her with a nod. "Good morning, Elowen."

"Callan," Ella blinked. "I thought you'd gone away to a meeting. I heard you had a reunion today."

"I've postponed it," he said evenly. "They can wait for a day or two. I'd already previously informed them I would be taking the day off. I wouldn't miss your birthday, Elowen."

"You didn't need to," she assured him, pressing a hand against the knot in her throat. "It's nothing special, truly."

"It's your birthday, I believe that makes it special enough to make time for you," Callan corrected her.  "I wish I could have breakfast with you, but unfortunately, I do need to finish some work, but we'll be having a dinner for you at night. Your friends are invited, no?"

Ella nodded fervently. "You remembered."

Callan's smile was subtle, almost teasing. "I may be old, but not old enough to forget what you mention. You've said they didn't eat meat, no?" Ella assented. "Good, I did ask for a special menu for them. It'll be served in our dining hall."

Ella's throat knotted. "You did this? For me?"

"Well, I organised it," Callan brushed a hand through his white hair. "True praise goes to Katram, she brought it all together."