37

It was a pitch-black night, no stars, no moons. The black fox stared at his beloved with tender eyes. Caiden yawned and finally decided to go to sleep.

He was already fifteen at this time while Freya was ten. He watched her getting closer to Arche, finally learning how to act spoiled. He watched her chubby cheeks slowly fade away. It was a warming experience.

Oh, they also met Mason. Though he was her tutor at the moment.

Ever since he was able to turn into his humanoid form, Freya started giving him hellish training regimens. It was tiring but her warm smile washed every inch of fatigue away.

To protect her, he will even go to the depths of hell without hesitation...

Just as his consciousness drifted away, a sudden thump from beside him made him jump on all fours.

His pupils dilated, Freya who was sleeping peacefully a minute ago was sweating all over. Her whole body was shivering, even her pupils were shaking.

She was panting heavily, gasping for air desperately. Her voice was hoarse, "W-why?"

He turned into his humanoid form and brought her into his embrace. His fluffy tails wrapped around her as if a barricade while he coaxed gently, "Shhhh, it's alright."

Caiden rubbed her back in circular motions, hoping to soothe her.

After turning six, Freya frequently had illness flaring up out of the blue, nightmares that caused panic attacks, and such. That's the main reason why he slept together with her.

"Should I call your dad?" Caiden's brows furrowed with worry.

"No, ugh." Scarlet liquid poured out her pale lips, "Don't be scared. I won't- urgh."

...How can someone be so good? Even when she's hurt, she was still worried about him. His heart melted into a puddle.

"Don't talk, save your breath," He used magic to remove the bloodstains.

Freya obediently kept quiet and started regulating her breath with her eyes closed. That thing actually assigned a task to her when she was already so busy, she couldn't help but spit out a string of profanities in her heart.

Freya nuzzled closer into Caiden's embrace, so calming. She peeked at the red string connecting their pinkies that only she could see, an elusive smile made its way up her lips.

It took an hour for her body to calm down. Her eyes fluttered as she yawned.

"Goodnight," Her arms folded naturally like a small animal. Snuggling closer to the source of warmth, she closed her eyes.

A gentle kiss landed on her forehead, the person hugging pinched her earlobe between his thumb and index finger, kneading it tenderly, "Sweet dreams."

After that night, Caiden watched Freya establish Black Diamond step by step, watched as she expanded her businesses into various fields.

He felt distressed with how much she was doing. Day after day without rest. Green bags formed under her eyes, it was especially evident due to her pale skin.

A year had passed but Freya was still a workaholic.

"...why are you working so hard?" He buried his head into the crook of her neck.

A soft smile appeared on Freya's face. She skimmed through the document in her hand as she rubbed his head, "What's wrong with my little fox?"

"...I am older than you," Caiden's lips twitched. Freya chuckled and let out a hum. He continued, "I just feel...distressed. It's fine to take a break."