Chapter 9: Wedding Ceremony!

The ceremony begins with the Ritual of Purification by the shrine priestess and the shrine maidens. Next, prayers are offered to the couple, Fuyuko and Kyojuro, to have good fortunes, happiness, and protection from the Goddesses and Gods.

After the prayer, the shrine maidens then poured sake to the three different-sized sacred cups, and the groom and bride drink three sips from each cup. Then the groom will say his words of sacred commitment to the bride.

A shrine maiden handed a paper towards Kyojuro, he then slowly unfolded it and read the sacred words of vow, written against the pale surface of the parchment in black ink.

"This woman, I marry" Kyojuro remarked, as Fuyuko moved her head to the side and stared at him.

"No matter what the health situation is, I will love this person, respect this person, console this person, and help this person..."

"until death." Kyojuro then face Fuyuko with a wide smile and spoke the very last words of his commitment. "I swear in my life."

Fuyuko's eyes widened as her heart skipped a beat, she expected his words to be empty like a pledge of nothingness but hearing it through his voice struck her heart like the warm sunlight. He spoke the truth and she could easily tell by just gazing at his red golden irises of flame.

Music then played as the shrine maidens performed their sacred dance to wished the couple more good fortunes and eternal happiness of love. Fuyuko snapped out of her daze and slowly turned his gaze to the dancing Mikos while ignoring the rapid beats of her heart.

When the sacred dance finally ended, the wedding ceremony will also soon end with the offering of the Tamagushi, a sacred branch ornamented with red and white papers that Fuyuko and Kyojuro held one each and softly placed it to their table.

And then lastly, the sharing of sake. The shrine maidens then poured sake to each cup of the Hashiras, representing the guests' blessing and acceptance for the newly-wed couple.

This is when Fuyuko started to get worried, after the guests drink their sake, the priestess will seal their marriage and she will be bound for eternity. And the worst case of all, there is still no sign of the demon.

Her sacrifices will be in vain... thinking about it made her blood ran cold, and she will surely hunt that demon even if it will take her a life time of searching.

Now, her fear came true. The Hashiras finished their sake with one gulp and the priestess will now say her words of blessings and announce their successful marriage.

"Before I pronounce you as husband and wife," Saeko, the priestess, remarked. "I would like to tell the very important law of our shrine."

"The couple who successfully wed in the face of our Gods shall not be allowed to divorce." She stated in a very deadly tone, she will surely not allow it.

And that shattered Fuyuko's plan to escape this bond.

"Do you understand me?" Saeko asked with all seriousness, glaring at the couple.

"Yes, Hanashi-sama!" Kyojuro replied with flames.

"Yes, Hanashi-sama..." While Fuyuko replied like ice.

"Now that everything is cleared, I shall say my blessings and acceptance with this such humble wedding." Saeko smiled. "For months of cowering in fear for the brides sudden disappearance, this is the first wedding that have come to triumph over the evil entity."

"I was anxious for this wedding because I thought that this will also end up in chaos. But seeing this wedding continue on and coming to its success, I now see that the love you two both harbored are powerful. My matchmaking is always right, you two are meant to be together."

Fuyuko then glanced at his groom and thought that maybe everything that is happening around her might not be too bad as she expected. She wondered if they are truly meant for each other or just a coincidence that fate played in its strings.

"How sweet love is." Mitsuri giggled.

"I think the demon isn't coming." Obanai quietly hissed.

"Tch. What a waste of time..." Sanemi muttered.

"Ara ara~"

"Why is the demon not coming?" Muichiro quietly asked.

"I am in glee and honored to be the one who will bless the both of you. I wished you best of luck with your relationship and family, though I already see a happy future ahead." Saeko told. "Rengoku Kyojuro and Kazahana Fuyuko..."

Kyojuro wasn't surprise to hear her name, he already new from the start and he is more than happy to accept her as his wife. While, Fuyuko was slightly shock to hear his family name.

It wasn't evident in her emotionless mask but inside she couldn't believe that she married a Rengoku, the family name of his father's sworn rival. What a coincidence, or is it fated?

Nevertheless, if her father was alive, Fuyuko knew he would kill her with his own blade but too bad he didn't live long enough to see this night, Fuyuko is more than happy to piss him off. He was just to greedy and worthless to continue on and walk the earth. So, she did him a favor and ended his bashful life.

But setting aside the thoughts of her father, the name of the flame-like man felt so familiar. Like hearing it again for a thousand times.

"I now officially pronounce you as husband and wife."

Several claps are heard behind them as the wedding had finally ended, and Fuyuko's life is now sealed with this quirky man beside her. She doesn't really have any choice or any ways to get out of this, so might as well accept and not care.

Who cares about family rivalry? As long as she remembered, she heard that the Rengoku family didn't really care, and it is just her clan along with her father, oathing to surpass them and they all ended up dying without accomplishing such oath, what an aggressive but good-for-nothing clan.

She doesn't really know if she has any relatives but may this union end this crazy rivalry, and save her from the foolishness of her clan. She hoped she wouldn't see her ancestors soon or there will be hell to pay.

The groom and the bride then stood up and faced their guests. Some are just looking at them bored, while others are clapping at them with glee.

"Congratulation, Rengoku-san! Kazahana-chan!" the love Hashira continued to clap with happiness.

Then Fuyuko's senses suddenly caught something inhuman. Kyojuro also sensed it too but before he could take ahold of Fuyuko, she beat him to it and she pushed him away with all her strength before a black large hand took a hold of her entire body.

She tried to struggle but a long sharp claw then made its way to her neck making her halt.

"Fuyuko!" Kyojuro called out as he draw his nichirin blade that is hidden under his garment.

The Hashiras also revealed their swords and is ready to strike but they were immediately struck when they saw the bride in the demon's claw.

"Stopped right there, Hashiras!" the demon demanded. "or this bride dies..."

The demon is an oversized monster with four arms, while one hand is holding Fuyuko hostage. They anticipated the demon to be one of the 12 Kizuki, but the demon sadly have no rank. Though, he surely is tricky.

"Finally..." Sanemi menacingly grinned. "You finally showed yourself, demon!"

"What took you so fucking long?!" he clicked his tongue.

"Oh, you asked." The demon's sickening voice replied. "Because some bride decided to meddle with my blood art."

"You're a smart one aren't you?" The demon creepily smiled towards Fuyuko. "You figured my demon blood art that easily..."

"No." Fuyuko coldly answered as she glanced at the monster. "You demons are just predictable."

The demon was shock to hear her reply with boldness, and she held no fear in her eyes even though her life is on the line. That also surprise the Hashiras, she should be crying in dread but she remained collective and calm.

Her actions amaze Kyojuro.