Chapter 8

Lauren

Breathe Lauren.

It's just your first day.

Don't worry.

I was standing in front of the mirror in my closet, wearing a beige pencil skirt with a white shirt. I had a minimal amount of makeup on my face. I tied my waist-length brown hair into a ponytail.
I sighed satisfied with my look.

It is my first day of work. Although I didn't want to work with him, I'm excited about how my first day would turn out.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves.

It is seven in the morning and I made my way out to meet Kate. She is working in the kitchen.

"Good morning, Kate." She turned towards me at my greeting.

"Good morning, Lauren. Are you okay with some eggs and bacon for breakfast?"

I nodded at her and she smiled at me.

"Kate, um do you know where Ethan is?" she placed the breakfast plate in front of me.

"He already left, dear. Didn't he tell you?" she frowned.

Of course. He would leave.

What did I expect?

"I must have forgotten." I plastered a smile.

She nodded at me and I quickly started to eat.

I didn't want to be late on my first day.

Moreover, it's Ethan, I don't want to give him any reason to point at me.

When I finished breakfast, I walked out, bidding her farewell.

I quickly hailed a cab and told him the office address.

***

The cab stopped in front of a large glass building and I got down after paying him. My lips parted with astonishment at the design of the glass building in front of me.

Kingston Industries is written in bold letters on the building.

Still, in astonishment, I made my way towards the entrance.

A lady was seated behind the desk typing something on her laptop. She had dark brown skin with beautiful dark brown almost black eyes. her extremely curly hair appreciated her facial features.

She must be the receptionist.

"Excuse me." I tried getting her attention.

"Yes?" she replied without looking up from her laptop.

Isn't that rude?

"I need to find Mr. Ethan Kingston?" I said ignoring her lack of care.

"Do you have an appointment?" she asked still not looking up.

"No. I don't. but I'm appointed as his assistant." I replied to her.

"I'm sorry but I can't help if you don't have an appointment." She shrugged.

"Can you at least inform him that Lauren Kingston is waiting?" Her eyes shot up listening to my name.

Ha.

I knew it.

"Oh my god. Mrs. Kingston. I'm so sorry. I didn't realize it was you. I was busy doing some last-minute work." She quickly said in a breath.

"I'm so sorry. Please don't inform about this to Mr. Kingston. He will fire me." She pleaded.

Ha. Forget about the firing, he might even promote you for what you did.
He hates me that much.