𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

STELLA BURNS

"Bye!" I shouted as I waved my hands, watching the car with Gabby and Gabriel in it fade into nothingness with another passing second. My arms went limp as soon they disappeared. They were here for a week until just now, they had to go back to prepare for their trip to Paris. I felt the deep sadness inside me although I try to brush it away.

Hands clasped on my shoulders and I lean into my mother's warm embrace as she linked her hands around me. I let out a soft sigh and feel my mother bend down to kiss my head, hovering there. 

"I'm sorry." She whispered into my hair and my brows furrowed. "You deserve better."

I shook my head. I didn't know why she kept saying things like this. "I'm happy, Mom. I'm serious. I wouldn't exchange this life for anything else." Especially if there were currently aliens invading the planet. You never know.

I was telling the truth, though. I was happy here. The happiest child in the world, as Uncle Gabriel would say. I had everything I needed. Plus there wouldn't be horses or hills where I can sit to watch the sunset if I lived out there. It was my mere curiosity that make me wonder about the outside world.

"You're too good for this world, star." I heard a hint of a smile in her tone, making me smile.

We stayed outside staring with faraway eyes at where they disappeared until night fell upon the sky and the stars came out to greet us.

"We should go back inside. It's getting past your bedtime." She offered and I nodded meekly.

I found Grams on her usual rocking chair in the living room as soon I entered the house. Last week, she wasn't feeling good. She felt the increasing aches over her body but she swears she would be fine.

"Grandmother!" I called out as I went to her. "I'm going to bed now."

I went around her chair to face her. My face crumpled slightly at her state. She was unnaturally pale and she was breathing shallow and strained. Her hands shook slightly as they gripped the armrest.

"You okay?" I asked stupidly. Of course, she wasn't okay. She was sick for the past week. It was going on too long. Although Mom tries to hide it, I can see the obvious worry and concern for her. Which made me nervous and fidgety.

She looked at me and smiled. It seemed forced. "Yes, sweetie. I'm okay. What did you say?" She asked.

I swallowed down the weird tingling feeling inside me, telling me something was wrong. "I said I'm going to bed now."

"Oh." She smiled. "Come on." She patted her lap. I hesitated. I would usually sit on her lap without any delays but she seemed fragile and I was afraid I would break her with my healthy eleven years old weight.

"I won't break that easily, Ella." Grams chuckled weakly, reading my mind precisely. I rushed to sit on her lap and wrapped an arm around her shoulder as I rested my head underneath her chin. We stayed like that for a few minutes in silence before Grams spoke.

"I love you, my sweet Stella." I felt her kiss my head. "Never, ever forget that."

I nodded tiredly - her words halfway going through my muddled mind. My eyes were dropping and half of me was being pulled into the dreamland. I vaguely heard her chuckle softly.