TWENTY-EIGHT - PART 1

in losing grip. on sinking ships. you showed up just in time

this love is good. this love is bad. this love is alive back from the dead

 this love is alive back from the dead

"Hey, is everything okay?"

"The car broke down so I'm now waiting at the auto shop," Delilah said from the other end of the call.

"Oh, shit. Is there anything I can do?"

"No - it's fine. Just have to sit around and wait. Are you going to be okay? I feel bad leaving you alone and this might take a while."

Smiling to myself, I balanced the cell phone between my shoulder and ear as I used my free hands to gather my supplies. "Del, I know we haven't seen each other in a while, but I am an adult. I can take care of myself for a couple of hours."

"I know you are! I just feel bad leaving you alone! I planned on bothering you all day with some quality sister bonding time."

"Do you want me to come down and keep you company?"

She let out a sigh. "No, that's alright. I should probably run some errands while I'm here. Boring mommy stuff."

"Well, if you change your - shit!" I groaned, watching as some of the paintbrushes fell from the top of my pile and onto the floor.

"Everything okay with you, Pickle?"

My quick strategic planning on how to collect my items without putting anything down distracted me from Delilah's use of my childhood nickname.

"Need some help?"

Eyes widening in relief - something I never thought I would say due to Hunter's presence - I eagerly nodded. "Yes, please!"

"Wait - are you with Hunter?"

"Don't start," I whispered harshly into the phone as Hunter walked toward me and collected some of the items out of my arms.

"Downstairs with the other stuff?" he asked.

"Yeah. I'll just be a second." Waiting until Hunter had disappeared from my view and I could hear his footsteps heading down the stairs, I returned my attention to my sister, hearing her squeal with excitement. "Del, I said don't start!"

"Okay, but now I'm thankful my car broke down! You two have the whole house to yourselves... you can spend some alone time and get to know each other a bit better..."

"I'm helping him paint the gift he's working on for your daughter!" I snapped back, quickly losing the calm nature I was trying to keep myself within, "May I remind you for the hundredth time that he has a girlfriend?"

"That we have never met! Besides, I'm not trying to insinuate anything. I'm just saying it would be nice for you two to get to know each other better!"