8

"Don't I get a phone call?" Jeff insisted as multiple officers escorted him towards his new holding cell. Despite his bad mood that came with being arrested, the killer couldn't help but smirk at the number of officers they'd assigned to watch a single teenager. Quite a record, indeed.

The officers stopped and exchanged reluctant glances, unsure of what to do. Jeff tapped his foot impatiently while they stared at eachother for several minutes, until one of them gave a slight nod. The rest nodded towards eachother and lead Jeff to a room with a landline phone. They uncuffed the killer and handed him the phone. They were all so tense and on edge, Jeff got the feeling that if he turned and said 'boo', they'd hit the ceiling. It was tempting, but he needed this phone call.

Jeff looked down at the keypad. It was a pretty old phone, but it would do. With his thumb he punched in the number;

333

and hit call. Jeff waited a second, then hung up and handed the phone back to the cop. "They didn't pick up." He shrugged. A few officers looked skeptical, but took Jeff back to his cell nonetheless. The killer seemed to be in a much better mood, much to their discomfort. They shut him in his cell and, after making sure there were security cameras aimed on him, left the jail.

Jeff leaned against the cool concrete wall and waited. And waited. And waited. When he got too restless he started kicking his feet, then pacing the cell. At one point he climbed up the bars of the cell door and tested how long he could hang from them. Minutes dragged on, and by the time he had reached a grand total of 3 hours in the big house, Jeff was lying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling.

Jeff was at the 58th verse of "Bottles of Beer on the Wall" when the security cameras let out a sharp, static noise and went dark.

"I've got two knives and one shoe for a mister Jeff the Killer."

Jeff jumped up at the sound of the snide but familiar voice. "Ben. Thank god." He sighed with relief, turning around to face the techno-ghost. BEN was a foot or so shorter than Jeff, currently wearing his classic green tunic and a smirk. The ghost had Jeff's other shoe and two knives in a bag in one hand, and was twirling a set of keys on the other.

BEN unlocked the cell door and handed Jeff his things. "What took you so long?" The killer asked as he pulled on his shoe. It felt good to have that back again.

"Hey, I just broke you out of jail. Don't I get a 'thank you'?" BEN replied, and Jeff rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, I owe you one. Let's go."

The two of them snuck towards a back exit BEN had spotted from within the security cameras. The other cells were mostly empty, except for a few snoring men here and there, so the pair had freedom to talk in low whispers as they went.

"So how'd you get arrested?" BEN asked, obviously wanting to know all the embarrassing details so he could gossip it around everywhere. Jeff could already tell that he was never going to live this town.

"I don't want to talk about it." Jeff grumbled in reply, but BEN was persistant.

"Come onnnn." He whined. "Tell me, and you won't owe me anymore."

Jeff considered his options. Risk mortification or wait to see what kind of twisted 'favor' BEN makes him do...? Finally, he decided to just tell him and cut his losses. "Fine. It was.....a girl."

This caught BEN's attention. The monstrous duo walked out into the open air and dashed towards an alley. "A girl?" BEN teased, floating lazily alongside Jeff, "Oooh, does little Jeffy-weffy have a crush? Was she hot? C'mon gimme the juicy deets, man!"

"What? No! It's not like that." Jeff protested, ducking into the shadows as headlights flickered past the alley. "I tried to kill her, but..."

"Buuuut you looked into her mesmerizing eyes and simply couldn't. You were too captivated by her beauty, you knew you could not harm her. And as you felt her heart beat loudly you could feel the heat of her body underneath yours and you-" BEN recited, voice oozing wirh drama, taking on a pose like a tragic hero in a classic play.

"No. No. God no. She punched me in the nose and tied me to the bedpost." Jeff interjected, not wanting to hear where BEN's story was going. The ghost paused for a moment.

".....Kinky."

"OH MY GOD DO YOU WANT TO HEAR THE STORY OR NOT?" Jeff hissed, struggling to keep his voice down. BEN made a zipping motion across his lips, and Jeff could continue.

As the two made their way towards the outskirts of town, the Killer described the events of the past 24 hours. Jeff showed BEN the red marks on his wrists and the bruise on his nose, and BEN nodded, impressed.

"That's wild, man." The ghost crossed his arms, "What are you gonna do now?"

Jeff already knew the answer. "Go back and finish the job, duh. What else am I supposed to do?"

"I dunno, dude." BEN frowned, "If I were you, I'd just drop it. She sounds like more trouble than she's worth, y'know? Besides, as soon as the cops notice you're gone, you're not gonna be able to get within five miles of her. Y'should probably just skip town, move on. I'm not bailing you out of jail again."

Jeff stopped to think about BEN's advice. Every fiber in his body wanted to run back to (Y/N)'s house, crush her stupid panic button, and show her exactly what happens when you mess with Jeff the Killer. And yet....BEN had a point. It was almost morning, surely the cops were gonna notice he'd escaped soon. After that, just staying in town would be rough. Getting to her house would be impossible. "I hate to admit it, but you're right." Jeff sighed. He pulled his hood up, shadowing his face. There was a bus stop nearby, if he hurried he could catch a ride to the next city.

"I know I am." BEN said smugly, "See ya, Jeffy-weffy." And just like that, the boy was gone.

Jeff cast a glance towards the town, silhouetted by the sun, now creeping it's way up over the horizon. "See ya, tough girl." He muttered under his breath, and put you behind him, for good.

Or so he believed.