Chapter 2

Jina was not.

Kyle was looking at me. But so was Jina. I didn't know what to make of both of their stares. I just stared at Miss Peter, who thankfully, had started teaching.

I didn't lift my eyes from my textbook for the rest of the period.

When the bell rang, I was expecting Jina to lash out at me, to point out the impropriety of one's crush being in the same group as their best friend and de facto rival. Even if I had already told her that I was out of the liking game, it didn't quite stop her - or should I say - Miss Peters from dragging me into it, and thus, making me a rival. I absolutely hated that.

'So, Lee...Kyle...in your...group...,' Jina mumbled quietly. She was fidgeting a lot, shifting her weight from one foot to another, playing with her fingers. It often set me on edge, that fidgeting.

'Yeah...didn't exactly ask for it...sorry,' I said without looking at her.

'No, it's okay,' she rushed, clearly not okay at all, 'it's not your fault.' It was, obviously.

'Cool, then,' I said, trying to close the topic. 'It's Science now, you better get back to your desk.' I shoved her towards her desk, relieved that her presence was no longer there.

We got through the next three periods before lunch break without any eye or verbal contact. I was grateful for that. Now that it was time for lunch, I decided to go to her, praying profusely that she would be the same as before with me.

I was in luck. She seemed to be behaving as if nothing happened. Yet, it did nothing to kill the thought from my mind. And thinking of the potential communication between me and Kyle Blue in the future, my thoughts started dominating my head and became possibly more burdensome, with Jina in the scenario.

I did not want to lose her at all, I did not know why. I did have some friends, however, we just passed with barely more than a mumbled 'hi' and a small smile. Jina was a nice girl, a great friend. She made me laugh a lot, and her stupid jokes about people were the best part about her. So, just because a part of me was very sensitive and soft, I showered upon her twice the niceness because I was not funny. 

Kids, it's great to be kind and all but no matter how sweet the chocolate ice cream is, it's still fattening and will ruin your teeth.

Plus, it's very cold. 

I hated disappointing anyone, especially my friends, the reasons which can only be given by Sherlock Holmes. Which is probably never since he didn't exist. With that inconsequential yet extremely huge defeat, I dropped those chains of thoughts completely. I only needed to behave like before. Because NOTHING happened.

Impossible.

I sighed, seated on my desk and reading, of all bloody books, 'The Complete Stories of Sherlock Holmes'. I was contemplating resuming my conversation with Jina when Kyle Blue approached me. I snapped the book shut.

'So, Lee? You are the group coordinator, I suppose?' He said, his voice low. As if he was aware of the tension too.

'I guess so. Anything you want?' Work wouldn't start yet anyway since many members were not there and research was a long, tedious task.

'Nah. Just wanted to tell you I am at your disposal, coordinator,' he smirked then, inclining his head.

Say what now? 'Great! Will get back to you soon,' I said, inclining my head too. He walked away, swaggering. I saw no point in that dialogue...I assumed his contribution to the project would be the same. It almost seemed like he didn't know me at all. I scoffed at his obliviousness, rolling my eyes. Kyle Blue would be one interesting character to watch Jina play with. Or maybe even the other way around. 

Coming to her, I finally strolled to her desk where she was chatting with Via, someone I didn't really find worth befriending. Jina couldn't agree more with me. 

'Yup, she got Kyle Blue and how d-' Jina stopped so abruptly I thought the words might accidentally crash into someone. Her mouth was still hanging open as if the words were stuck in her throat, desperate to spill but I was the cork stopper. She was able to close her mouth then and open it again.

'Hey, Lee! You startled me,' she gasped. She looked anything but. Perhaps... a tad more guilty, almost criminal- 

STOP IT, Lee! I shook my head aggressively.

'Didn't mean to. Did you finish that question in Science? Let me just see it, I think mine is incorrect,' I blubbered, trying hard to break the thread of tension between us. 

'Yeah...I mean no. You wanna go back together? We could eat house and go to my noodles- I mean, we could eat noodles and go to my house later,' she stuttered, beginning to fidget with her collar, hair, fingers and very, very slowly pushing me on edge again. 

'Okay, cool beans,' I giggled awkwardly, making finger guns at her, which nobody does. Cool beans? I walked back.

God, if things were this tight between us for the rest of our lives, I might just faint and die. Thank all the nonexistent gods it would just be a week. A bloody hectic week of balancing my emotions, Jina, the project and of course...Kyle Blue. I scrubbed at my face. 

I felt this much pressure and bad vibes would do nothing for my energy and returned to my book, thumbing open the text. I almost felt bad for Sherlock if he came to solve this tangled yarn of thread. Good for him.

School was over in a flash, the shrill bell sounding like victory trumpets. It gave my body enough adrenaline to pick up my heavy bag and go to Jina, trying not to drag my feet. We exited the main building, and all students, tired and hot, chatted away, a day's worth of gossip on their sleeves.

Via brushed past me, shouting goodbye to us, which we returned half-heartedly. Too tired, we both were too tired.

Though my surprised reaction definitely was not tired when Kyle Blue grabbed my bag's handle, pulling me closer to him (not that close, just a foot forward) and it was definitely not half-hearted when my breath hitched as he gave a half-smile and whispered, 'See you, coordinator Lee. I'll get the information tomorrow.' 

He released me. I whirled on him, trying to come face-to-face with him, but he was already walking away. I didn't want to look Jina in the face. Just one day of liking him and I was already stuck in the triangle unwillingly. 

'Well...at least he cares about his student points,' I pointed, shrugging.

'Yeah...maybe he cares about some other student's points,' she said lightly, or at least tried to but failed miserably and sounded edgier.

'Don't worry, nothing will happen,' I assured her. 

Fake. Such lies. 

'If you say so,' she said.

'I know so,' I emphasized.

There was no going back from this. From Kyle Blue and Jina and me.

Jina scoffed as if she knew too. 

-----------

Double update. 

I am really motivated right now. 

Chapter 3 coming soon... Stay tuned, guys.

Please vote, comment and share!

Happy reading! :)