Short Story - Shakespeare - Romeo and Juliet Alternate Ending

Juliet laid in the coffin, Romeo at her side. Word spread around of her death, and he held the poison in his hand, ready to die with her. This was love, and he would die with her, for her. But other thoughts were in his head… would they be together in Heaven? Would they end up in different places? His parents were going to be crushed… so what was he to do?

"Did I really love her?" He asked himself, raising the bottle of poison so he could see it, and let his thumb run over the surface. He thought of her, her eyes the stars, herself the east and the sun, and the idea of being in love with her. He ran his hand down her face gently, stroking her hair. But he couldn’t kill himself for her. "I'm sorry, Juliet." He whispered as he took off towards the exit, leaving Juliet to lie there alone and dead. Or so he thought…

He ran into Paris outside, and he was looking for a fight. He thought Romeo killed her, so he drew his sword, aiming right at him.

"You killed Juliet." Paris stated, and Romeo drew his sword.

"I would never. It doesn't matter anyway, she's dead. I'm leaving Verona to get her out of my head." Romeo replied, dropping the sword. "I loved her, Paris. Or so I thought."

"You're just a coward, like all the Montagues." Paris smirked, and Romeo picked up his sword again. "The Montagues will be dead by the end of this, the Capulets will end them."

"I doubt it. They'll be aiming for me." Romeo snapped, and just took off running. Paris watched him run until he was out of sight, and he headed back to the Capulet's mansion…

Juliet woke up about two minutes later, sitting up from her forty-eight hour long sleep. Her eyes scanned the room, finding nobody in there with her. She let her feet slide off the coffin, standing up, leaning against it so she could balance. Where was Romeo? He should've been here… did he not get the message? Or did he just abandon her like she was worth nothing?

She walked steadily towards the door, leaving the chamber behind. It was bright outside, causing her to shield her eyes, and she headed anywhere she could, trying to find Romeo or someone, anyone…

"Mom?" She called over to the woman who was by the staircase once she found her way to her mansion. Mrs. Capulet's head shot towards her, and then she was at a run, running into her mother's arms.

"How are you alive? You died!" Mrs. Capulet breathed, bringing her up the stairs and into the house, where Mr. Capulet was.

"Juliet?" Mr. Capulet whispered, hugging his daughter. "How is this possible?"

"Who cares, I'm alive." She replied, pulling away from her parents. "Where are the Montagues?"

"Why? Were they the ones who attempted to kill you?" She asked, and Juliet shook her head.

"No, I just thought-" She started, but cut herself off. They still didn't know the feelings she had for him… or the feelings they had for each other. "I don't know."

"But this is great! You can still marry Paris!" Mr. Capulet exclaimed, and on cue, Paris strolled into the room, looking like he owned the place.

"I'm looking forward to it, Juliet." He smirked, raising her hand to kiss it. She took it away, and Paris led them into another room to talk alone.

"What do you want?" Juliet asked, sitting down on the sofa.

"I know you love Romeo, don't try and deny it." He shot at her, and her whole body tensed. "But he's dead."

He thought he could manipulate her with a lie. Romeo ran away, and Paris thought of him as a coward, and was in the process of leaving Verona. Romeo thought Juliet was dead, but Paris knew the whole thing, using it to his advantage.

The poor girl had tears in her eyes. "Romeo can't be dead!" She shrieked, but quieted down. "He wouldn't be dead knowing I was still alive." She stated confidently, knowing it was to be true. But he had the sincere look in his eyes, just like Romeo… was he really telling the truth?

"I'm sorry, but he's gone. I can't be any more sympathetic for you." He circled around her slowly, and leaned in right next to her ear. "He never loved you, it was always Rosaline."

"That's not true!" She stepped away from him, whipping around to face him.

"Oh, but it is." He replied, and her mind went blank. This could not have been the truth, it was obvious lies, but she couldn't assure herself to be sure. "I only speak the truth, Juliet."

"I don't believe you." She stated, but deep down, she had her doubts of him. "How could you say such things to me?"

"I'm trying to help you. You don't want to end up alone, and you know our wedding is tomorrow." And with that, he left her there, standing in the middle of the room. Romeo was dead… this couldn't be happening…

Romeo was now on the outskirts of Verona, so close to leaving the place behind. Juliet was dead, the Capulets would be hunting for him, so he had no reason to stay. So with the final goodbye to his home, he headed towards wherever the streets would take him.

Juliet married Paris the next day. She couldn't have escaped it since she was alive, but Romeo was dead, so there was no point to wait for him. But the thought of him still saddened her. She never loved Paris, it was always Romeo. But he was never coming for her, because all she knew was that he was dead.

"I'm sorry, Romeo." Juliet whispered as they finished the ceremony, thinking of his death.

"I'm sorry, Juliet." Romeo whispered as he continued his journey away from the place where death took Juliet.