Chapter 27

Coral

I keep my left eye closed and bring the eyeliner closer, trying to keep my hand steady. The tutorial is playing on my phone and I keep having to rewatch it so I can ace the look.

"Coraline! Coraline!" I sigh and pause the video before tossing the eyeliner on my desk. I pat my hair and walk out my room and downstairs.

My mom is in the kitchen with a mug of tea in her hands. She frowns when she sees me. "Why don't you have any makeup on?" Her fingers trace the scarred side of her face. "I just woke up mom. I'll put it on now." Mom used to be in beauty pageants ever since she was little but then the accident happened and now half her face is scarred.

I never really liked all the beauty pageants and the makeup and the pink clothes but since I'm her only daughter, I have no choice but to go along with it.

"Put it on soon cause we have to go to the hairdresser." I run my fingers through my hair. "Can't I let it grow?"

"Of course not. Look how gorgeous you are with short hair." I sigh and turn around before walking back upstairs to my room.

~~~

My whole body trembles and I bring my hands up to my mouth.

Silas... he got bitten...

I can't get the image out of my mind and I feel something yank on my hair. Lex appears behind me and hits the zombies head with the back of his gun. "Come on!" He grabs my arm and drags me along. My legs seem to have forgotten how to work and I just can't seem to shake the image of Silas out of my head.

There was blood... So much blood...

I'm literally swept off my feet and I hold onto Lex's shoulders as he holds me bridal style and we run. For the first time since forever, I feel the wind in my hair and against my face. I turn to look back and gasp. "There's no one behind us." I tell him frantically but he keeps running.

He stops and I see a horde of zombies approaching us. "Take the gun and shoot."

I look up at him. "What?"

"Shoot!" He manages to toss the gun in my arms and I grab it, noticing how shaky my hands are.

"Come on!" He urges and I hold the gun straight and pull the trigger. I bounce back. "Again." He tells me.

So I pull the trigger again and manage to shoot a zombie right in the head. Now I know what he wants me to do. He wants me to shoot the zombies and create a path so we can run through. I'm still shaking but I take aim and shoot again, gaining another headshot.

"That's it." I hear him mutter and I'm surprised I can actually do this. Actually, scratch that, I'm not surprised. I'm always on top of my game whenever there's a hot guy around.

Wait, did I just call Lex hot?

I look up at him and really take in his features. His sharp, clenched jaw. The rough bit of stubble on his chin and his beautiful clear skin. His long jet black hair and his sharp, piercing brown eyes.

Usually people with brown eyes look so pure and good - hearted but he makes it look sexy.

"The hell are you doing? Shoot." His deep, rough voice brings me out of my thoughts and the gun fumbles in my hands before I point it and shoot again.

We take off running. He runs through the zombies and I hold on tightly to him.

This is insane. Why am I thinking about him like that when danger is right in my face? And why did I have that memory of my mom?