Chapter 13 ~ Dinner

Aurora

I'm sitting at the barstools at the counter trying my best not to act all awkward at the beautiful man next to me.

I decided that I would try to make friends with him, keep him close by when Greyson has to move for his job. Ryder and Laklyn are already my friends, so what's the harm? My mental state.

I lift my head up from the cold counter and look at Ryder who is already looking down at me. His tall figure shadows over me even when we are sitting down. I give him a smile and go to stand up.

"Where are you going, amor?" Mom's voice calls out. "I'm going to go change in my room." She nods her head and goes back to cooking. I head up to my room and change into sweats and an oversize sweater and pull my hair into a ponytail. I sigh as I open my door again and head downstairs.

My mind doesn't want to get rid of the thought of Ryder. It wants Ryder to stay there forever and wants to remind me of what we could have, and what we can't have.

As I walk down the steps, Greyson meets me there and pulls me aside to the living room in front of the door. "That's him?" I nod my head, thinking it would be better if I just tell him now.

"He's nice Rory, from what I've seen, he's just a single dad trying to figure out where he and his son belong in this town." I listen to my brother's words as I glance to the kitchen and look at the man laughing at whatever mom had said.

"I know, it doesn't change the fact that my heart doesn't know that yet." Greyson sighs and pulls me in for a hug, his scrubs rubbing against my cheek, I can still smell the hospital smell on him.

"It's going to work out, Rory, trust me." I nod and pull away from him. The door opens and dad emerges with what seems to be a bag of more food. He sees us and smiles. "What are my two favorite twins hugging over here?"

He comes up to us and brings us into a group hug. Me and Greyson groan as dad's affection. We pull away to see mom coming out of the kitchen, leaving Ryder there, but when I look, he's gone.

"Hey mi amor." Mom greets dad with a kiss and he responds with "Hello baby." Like they have done for the past thirty plus years.

I walk back into the kitchen living room area and see Ryder sitting on the couch playing with a very awake Laklyn. I smile at the two and when Ryder sees me, he gives me a soft smile too.

I sat on the opposite couch of him and put my attention on the tv in front of me. While I'm watching I notice a whine coming from that couch, as well as tiny arms going all over the place.

I look over and see Laklyn has made eye contact with me and is trying to stretch his arms out to me. I look at Ryder but he's just smiling at me. He walks over to me and places Laklyn in my arms.

It feels so good to be able to hold him again, his tiny body gives me warmth, and the comfort I want and seek for. Laklyn makes me light up every time.

"Hi sweet baby." I lift him to look at me, he kicks his legs up and down. I bring him back down to me and he rests his head on my shoulder, playing with a strand of hair that has fallen.

I look at Ryder who is smiling at us with his body leaned forward and his elbows resting on his thighs.

"He's a good baby." I say almost to myself but the man in front of me responds with, "I know, one of the best." I rub circles around Lakelands back as the rest of the family enters the living room.

"Awe!" Greyson says once he sees me and Laklyn. He comes over and sits next to me, putting his arm around my shoulder as he watches Laklyn play with my hair.

This really goes to show that Greyson has a tiny obsession with kids. He wants around 5, I don't know if his future wife will allow that though.

I lean back on the couch and close my eyes, still tired after a long day. My eyes forced me to open and look at Ryder. He is still staring at the two of us, not giving a care in the world who's watching him.

The way he looks at me is my favorite thing ever. He looks at me like I could be his everything but nothing at the same time. He has looked at me like that ever since we met, it was the eye contact he gave me.

Mom calls us for dinner and I stand up and head to the dining table and sit in my normal spot with Laklyn on my lap. Ryder ends up taking the seat next to me which has my heart fluttering like crazy.

I look in front of me to see my brother Reece looking at me. I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. "When did you get here old man?" My nickname for him. Ever since May gave birth to their second kid that's been his nickname.

"Grey called me, said we were having a family dinner but only with the kids. I left Mayella with her parents though."

I nod my head slowly. He gestures to the baby in my lap. "What's that?" He asks as if he doesn't already have two of them and one growing. "What do you mean, what is that? You have two of them."

"I just meant, who is that?" I roll my eyes at the 'that' name. Ryder chimes in. "He's mine, your mother watches him for me."

"Oh okay... so why is my sister holding him then?" I sigh and close my eyes. "Drop it Reece." And he does, and we eat dinner as a family, plus Ryder and Laklyn and actually have a good time.

Once we finish dinner, mom insists on having Ryder stay for a little longer, I'm sure dad is jealous right now. Ryder nods his head and sits his butt back on the couch and talks sports with dad, Greyson, and Reece while me and mom sit in the other living room with Laklyn on my lap.

"So... Ryder, what do you think of him?" I knew it. I swivel my head to her in disbelief. "Are you trying to set us up?!" I whisper yell. Mom doesn't reply, she just smiles and walks away.

Leaving me on the couch with Laklyn. Just how I want to spend my night. In all honesty.