Chapter 4

Mac

It was the big day! My baby is now 18 years old. I probably would have been a little more emotional over that fact if we all haven't been walking on eggshells for the past 3 days. Charlie's mood swings were getting out of control. We all could see she was barely holding on to the control she had on her magic. But I think that had a lot to do with the elder that Kain had sent the evening I spoke to him.

Saffron. What can I say about Saffron? Oh I got it! He's a miserable old goat that really really doesn't like me but seems to enjoy Charlie's company. Which was a good thing, I guess. I swear he was imagining my death every time I caught him looking at me in a trance. Creepy fuckn' fae bastard is what he was. But like I said he seems to enjoy Charlie's company most of the time. Well that was until she pissed him off. Those times I found amusing. He does not. Huh...maybe that was why I kept on getting the death glares?

"Happy Birthday!" The dining hall shouted out as I sat in my own little world.

When I looked up I let out a breath of relief. Charlie walked in and actually had a smile on her face. Shit, it has been days since I saw that beautiful smile. She walked tall and proud to our end of the table. I did tense up a little when Tony stood up and stopped her. I still found it incredible that my boys stood almost a foot taller than her and they still haven't stopped growing yet. I heard a soft birthday wish come from Tony as he gave her a hug. Good he wasn't going to be his annoying self. Relaxing a bit, I took my eyes off them to look at Thomas as he stood as well. I didn't see what happened but I felt Corey's hand tighten on my leg, that had been resting there since we sat down to eat breakfast. I heard Tony's laughter right before a deep aggressive growl.

The dining hall went deathly quiet as I swung my head from Corey, since I ended up looking at him in question when he squeezed my thigh, to my children. Charlie's hair was a mess, Thomas was still in the same spot from when he stood by his chair and a very shocked Tony was around 5 feet back from Charlie. The growling...well that was coming from my girl. I probably would have been jumping for joy since she was about to shift for her first time, but between the anger that was pouring off her and the way her eyes continued to change from her bright blue eyes she got from me to a deep...red. It was off putting to say at the very least.

It had been years since I had been frozen with shock. It wasn't the growl or the anger that made me still. It was her eyes. Maybe not her eyes but her wolf's eyes. Red eyes. Thank the gods my amazing mate seemed to still have his senses. It was his movements that snapped me back to my surroundings. The others in the dining hall were already slowly and quietly leaving.

"Hey Sweetheart." Corey's soft but demanding voice rang out. A small smile on his lips as he gave Charlie his full attention. Once she looked at him he continued. "I have some good news and a little bit of bad news for you." Bad news! Really, Corey! Sure let's tell our crazed teen who is about to shift that there is bad news. What the fuck is wrong with him? That seemed to get her full attention since her growling had stopped as she stared back at him. "Good news first. You're getting your wolf! That is exciting isn't it?" The man sounded way too cheerful for this environment. "Now, the bad news. It's going to hurt and we need to get you outside because if you scratch these floors with your claws your mother is going to beat your ass and mine." And I still get blamed for something! Seriously, Corey! Like. What. The. Fuck!

Of course his daddy charm worked once again. She visibly relaxed right before her eyes widened. "Wolf? Shift? I...I...my wolf!" Charlie stammered then finally screamed in joy. Then fear replaced all the joy in her face as a groan left her lips. "Daddy. Help." The words left her lips as her legs gave out. Her first shift was starting and there was not a goddamn thing I could do about it.