Chapter 12

I got us to school in record time without getting a speeding ticket. Jules was out of the car before I even turned the ignition off. I looked through the passenger window and saw she was headed to join her friends. I grabbed my book bag and tried to push the thoughts of last night to the back of my mind. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about how well I was getting at acting like everything was okay. But, of course, it would be harder to fool Sophie and Cole now that I'm not miles away from them where they couldn't see my face to tell if I was lying or not. Then again, I texted them last night, so they already know what happened. I locked my car and walked over to Cole's car as he pulled into a parking spot a few spaces down from me. He was out of his car and getting his stuff by the time I reached him. 

"Morning, Sunshine." He locked his door, then wrapped his arms around me. "You doing okay?" He kissed my head as he let go of me. 

"He was still home this morning and cooked breakfast." I sighed. 

"Guilty much." He raised an eyebrow. 

"I didn't want to eat it, but I ate a few bites just to keep peace." I rolled my eyes. "I don't know why he thinks it will fix things." I rolled my eyes again. 

"Hey, you two." Sophie walked up beside us, taking off her sunglasses. "What are you talking about?" She glances at both of us. 

"Dad trying to fix things by fixing me breakfast this morning." 

"He was still home this morning?" Sophie's mouth drops. 

"Yes." 

She asked if he would be home all day today or if he was just there this morning. I told her he was going in late and would be home late tonight. She and I both agreed that him being home late was much better. Any time being away from him was better. I didn't want to think about him anymore and quickly changed the subject. I asked Cole what had been going on with him and Eli. Apparently, Eli had been texting Cole since they broke up, wanting to get together and talk. 

"I don't know what to do about him. I miss him, but I know he'll hurt me again." Cole sighed, glancing over at me. "Honestly, I've been avoiding his texts." He lowered his head in shame. 

"Cole, there is nothing to feel guilty about. It's understandable if you don't want to return his texts immediately. He hurt you. So, if you want to take your time, then you have every right." I took his hand in mine. 

"Thanks, Rylee." He squeezed my hand lightly, then let go of it to open the door for Sophie and me. I let Sophie walk in first because, to be honest, I wasn't ready to start another day of school. The sooner school started, the faster the day would go, and I'd be home waiting for Dad to come home and yell at me for something. 

I strolled behind Cole and Sophie as I listened to them talk about boys and if he should give Eli another chance or cut him loose. I wasn't the right person to advise on relationships, seeing I've never been in one before. No guy has ever wanted to ask me out on a date, let alone kiss me. I have absolutely no experience with guys; therefore, my advice wouldn't be helpful. I stayed behind and continued to listen to them, hoping one day I'd be able to chime in and give advice. 

I reached my locker to switch out my books and head to Biology with Sophie when I heard Austin's voice behind us. I glanced over my left shoulder, where my gaze was met by Austin's gorgeous brown eyes staring down at me. I felt the heat of my blushing cheeks, and without thinking, I turned my head, smacking it on the edge of my locker door. 

"Are you okay?" Austin asked, trying not to laugh. 

Sophie was standing on the other side of me, laughing her ass off, not bothering to ask if I was okay or anything. Then again, if the roles were reversed, I'd probably be doing the same thing, so I couldn't get mad at her for laughing. 

I rubbed the side of my face even though my pride was more bruised than my face would've been by that little smack. "Yeah, I'm okay." I closed my locker door gingerly, making sure my face was out of the way. 

"Can we meet again after school? I have a Math test coming up Friday." Austin asked. 

"Yeah, sure. Where do you want to meet?" 

"Well, I promised Taylor I'd take her to Coffee Oasis after school. Do you care to meet me there?" 

"Coffee Oasis...With Taylor...Sure," I mumble, knowing this situation had disaster written all over it. 

"Hey, Austin! What are you doing talking to this nerd?" A guy with dark blonde hair said, stopping behind Austin. 

"What did you say?" Austin's jaw clenched, and his eyes narrowed. 

"What are you doing talking to this nerd when you've got Taylor? Taylor's hot." The guy glared over at me. 

I opened my mouth to say something when Austin turned around, grabbed the guy by the shirt, and slammed him against the wall next to my locker.

"Last time I checked, I don't have to answer to you about anything! Let alone who I talk to!" Austin's voice was low and threatening. "Apologize to Rylee." 

The guy looked over Austin's right shoulder. "I'm sorry, Rylee." 

Austin let go of his shirt and took a few steps back. "Now, get the hell out of here before I change my mind and decide to hit you anyway." Austin motions for the guy to take off down the hall. The guy steps in toward Austin and then turns to leave, telling Austin he's made a mistake messing with him. Austin sarcastically nods his head like he's terrified of the guy as he rolls his eyes. Once the guy was gone, Austin apologized for what happened and said he would see me later today after school. Then, he disappeared into the crowd of kids that had just passed by as they made their way down the hall to their classes. Sophie reached over and grabbed my arm, pulling me along as she started walking down the hall toward Biology. Halfway to Biology, it hit me like a brick wall that I agreed to meet him and Taylor after school. 

"Oh, my god! What have I done?" I yelled, but no one seemed to notice in the noisy hall. 

"Uh, you agreed to meet Austin and Taylor after school. That's what you did. Not one of your brightest moments for sure." 

"Gee, Thanks a lot," I mumbled, wishing a hole in the floor would open up and swallow me. 

Author's Notes:

Wow...Austin stuck up for Rylee. What did you think of that? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.