9

⟦ I pry open a door. ⟧

5714 words

we camped a few meters from the road in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers.

We'd taken some food and blankets from Aunty Em's, but we didn't dare light a fire to dry our damp clothes. The Furies and Medusa had provided enough excitement for one day. We didn't want to attract anything else.

we deiced to do shifts and Percy took the first shift. we all got out stuff laid out and by the next hour everyone was silent.

Annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring as soon as her head hit the ground. I laid down in a corner.  the blankets gave me no wrath despite no one else having cold problems, I shuddered, and my teeth vibrated together. I was taken by surprise when someone removed the blanket from my face.

I looked up to see Luke face. he smiled down at me. he pulled me up as I clenched the blanket closer to me. He pulled me next to him on the floor. he laid out multiple blankets, so we didn't lay up against the bare floor. he spooned me from behind with his arm under my head. I pushed back until my back hit his chest and my head was almost up to his shoulder. he rested his head right behind mine, but his lips were almost right next to my ear

I sighed as sleep hit me like a brick.

" it's not that cold." his warm breath hit my ear. A hiver went down my spine.

" Not for me."

his chest vibrated a bit.

" I have a question." I said as he relaxed, tightening his arm around me.

" Why does Grover what his license?"

Luke paused for a moment, " to look for the Pan, God of the wild. all satyrs what to find him."

"Oh, how did he go missing?"

'The God of Wild Places disappeared two thousand years ago. A sailor off the coast of Ephesos heard a mysterious voice crying out from the shore, "Tell them that the great god Pan has died!" When humans heard the news, they believed it. They've been pillaging Pan's kingdom ever since. But for the satyrs, Pan was their lord and master. He protected them and the wild places of the earth. they refuse to believe that he died. In every generation, the bravest satyrs pledge their lives to finding Pan. They search the earth, exploring all the wildest places, hoping to find where he is hidden and wake him from his sleep."

" And Grover what's to find him?"

"Yeah, he what's to be the first one alive, to find him. all satyrs that went out to find him, have never came back."

" Is he really risking it all?"

" Yeah, all satyrs that go out and search will do anything to find him, even if it means dying."