3

'Kaitlyn?'

Slowly, Kaitlyn turned, blinking. She'd been staring silently into the flames for the past hour as she pondered the events of the night, her future, Lucifer—and of course Jacob.

Catherine smiled at her. 'They've found him.'

Kaitlyn rose from the floor. 'Is he all right?' She braced a hand against the wall, steadying herself.

The angel nodded. 'They've healed him completely and they'll join us soon.'

'Thank God.' Taking a deep breath, she leaned her forehead against the brick of the fireplace. 'When will they be here?'

'Not for a while. They'll have to drive. It'll take a couple of days.'

Kaitlyn hung her head. 'At least he's all right.'

She looked down at the little table by the couch. Their host had left her a bowl of hot soup and a sandwich. The soup no longer steamed and the sandwich remained uneaten. He'd also folded out the couch and made up her bed. She looked towards the kitchen, wondering whether he was still awake doing everything he could to make her comfortable, but she couldn't hear him.

'Where's Jeremy?' Kaitlyn asked.

'Trying to get some sleep.'

Kaitlyn pressed her lips together. 'I haven't been a very kind visitor.' Suddenly ravenous, she went over and picked up her bowl of soup. She sipped a mouthful. It was lukewarm but nice enough. 'I'll have to thank him when he gets up.'

Kaitlyn sat on the floor crosslegged as she finished her meal. Wagging his tail, the dog came over and nosed her shoulder. She giggled when it pressed its cold nose into the side of her neck. Tearing off a corner of her sandwich, she fed it to him.

After she'd finished eating, Kaitlyn lay down in the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Jacob—what would I do without him? She rolled over onto her side as Catherine flicked the light off. Perhaps now she could get some sleep.

Kaitlyn stared at the dancing flames of the fireplace. It looked beautiful in the darkness. She could see the faint glow of Catherine and Zeke's auras as they stood guard on either side of the room. It was comforting.

Grabbing at a cushion, she pulled it against her chest and closed her eyes.

The flickering flames remained as she opened them again. Rolling onto her back, she gazed up at the familiar candelabra. A tear trickled down her cheek, which she quickly brushed away before Lucifer could see.

A large, strong hand shot out, seizing her wrist. Kaitlyn looked over with a start. He was in bed with her, lying on top of his black silk sheets, utterly naked. He was smiling. Tenderly, he kissed the heel of her palm.

'What are you so happy about?' Kaitlyn said nervously. 'What have you done?'

'Nothing.' His eyes glittered as he kissed her palm again. 'You're lonely.'

'No, I'm not.'

He laid his hand between her hip bones. It was so big against her. She was naked too, and his touch sent a tingle through her body. Kaitlyn bit her lip. She tried to pull out of his grasp but he gripped her wrist more firmly.

'Did I not fulfil my promise? Did I not destroy those who hurt you. Did I not help Jacob?'

Kaitlyn looked up at the candelabra without response.

'How did you like it, Kaitlyn? Did you enjoy it?'

'No.'

He smiled his perfect white teeth, then chuckled. 'Liar.' He walked his fingers up her abdomen and in-between her breasts. Kaitlyn grabbed at his hand before he could touch one of them. But he always did what he wanted. He pinched her left nipple.