SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHIAKI NANAMI, THE FIRST LADY

The trial hurt in many different ways, at this point, it was hard to believe any of them would try and kill each other. Y/n added in some comments, they didn't yell at her or tell her to stop speaking, but it just felt wrong.

"Why wouldn't the killer go in the Final Dead Room during the night? Wouldn't that have been ideal?" Chiaki ponders, tapping her chin while she thinks.

"Unless they couldn't.. only one person at a time was allowed in there, right? What if another mystery person was in there during the night?" Nagito suggests.

"Who else apart from the culprit would need to go in there!?" Akane exclaims.

"I know it wasn't Y/n and I, but that's all I can say." Chiaki adds.

"..Huh?" Kazuichi leans forward.

Y/n clears her throat nervously. "Chiaki caught me outside the guest rooms and she offered to let me sleep in her room."

Fuyuhiko raises his eyebrows. "You two spent the night together?"

"Is there something wrong with that?" Chiaki tilts her head.

"No.. just.. whatever. Who else could it be?"

Y/n starts to feel guilty, but somethings just don't need to be shared. There's no reason. It'd just damage the reputation she's trying to build again. That's how she justifies it.

They dismiss it and continue with the trial, revealing Gundham as the murderer of Nekomaru. Sonia was devastated, her and Gundham were sweet together and it just hurts to watch people be separated like that, but unfortunately it's happened too much.

After the execution, the atmosphere feels different, so Y/n makes her move. "Before we go.. can I quickly say something?"

Nobody says anything, but they all look towards her and listen.

"I'm sorry for keeping my talent from you all. I quit that whole life years ago and started doing something that made me happy.. none of you knew me, so I thought I'd leave that old me behind. Please forgive me." Y/n announces, watching everyone's reactions, trying to gather an overall opinion.

"Oh, Y/n. Of course we forgive you. We know you never intended to deceive us.. I suppose we just.. didn't expect it at the time." Sonia says gently.

"Yeah.! We love ya, really. No matter how much we might push you about." Akane grins.

"..It's true. And we really need our president back." Hajime chuckles. "What do you say?"

"It would be my honour." Y/n jokingly bows down and can't stop the smile growing on her face.

"Well, President L/n, what do we do now?" Chiaki asks.

"I say.. we eat. I'm starving."

"Don't have to tell me twice!" Kazuichi's the first to rush into the elevator and everyone else happily piles in too. While she's surrounded by them, she realises she really does love these idiots.

*+•.

That night they all sleep with full stomachs, Y/n had to say she really missed food. That meal was the best she'd ever eaten in her entire life, making her even more excited for breakfast.