Chapter 5 - Kenneth

Jensen pointed in front of him, where Cayler came running and picked me up in a hug. "I'm so happy to see you!" The smile he wore quickly faded as my boyfriend saw the look on my face. "Kenneth, what's wrong?"

I sighed and took his hand, taking him into the house. Jensen accompanied us as we walked to Jadance's and Ash's room. Grabbing a mask, I asked Cayler to put it on, since Jace and I already wore one. "They're contagious, so make sure they don't cough or sneeze on you."

"What are they sick with?"

"Whooping cough. Desi was the first one of the three to die of it."

Cayler's brown eyes were wide with surprise. "I thought—"

"Remember, Yellowstone caused vaccines to go poof," Jensen said.

A few seconds later, a scream coming from Ash caused the three of us to rush into the room. The nine-year-old boy stood behind his sister. "J-Jadance. S-she's dead."

Naturally, I would hug the young boy to comfort him, but the mask reminded me of the current situation. Ash stared at his little sister for a few more seconds, then pulled a sheet over her face. The poor girl was only six years old, but now, hopefully, with her mother and father again. No, I didn't think there was a heaven if you will, but death would reunite you with your dead family. Jensen and Jace were silent. This new world was too harsh for anyone, especially kids like Jadance and Ash. Jensen was stuck in some sort of trance as he just stared in front of him.

We would've buried Jadance in the Hayner's backyard if it hadn't started snowing. I left to go find August to tell her the news so she could figure out how to deal with Jadance's body.

"Kenneth, are you alright," August asked as I entered her room.

I shook my head. "Jadance isn't here with us anymore."

August sighed and left to tell her family while I went to Jadance's room. Amy and Piper were there now, paying their respects. "Cremate her," Jensen said. Jace looked at him but didn't reply. August nodded and left to tell her family. It wasn't like he had much of a choice.

"It'll be much quieter with her gone," Jace said. "I'm going to miss her." He smiled sadly at his nine-year-old brother, who sobbed quietly and desperately needed a hug. Cayler reached into his pocket to get his pack of cigarettes. He groaned as he pulled his hand out empty.

Jensen noticed, "I took them, remember?"

Cayler nodded, "yeah, sorry."

I coughed. "I'm surprised you handed them over that easily."

"I wanted to stop anyway, but I wish I had saved the last one for now."

Jensen inhaled sharply. "It's the apocalypse, man. You'd be smoking a pack a day if I hadn't taken them."

Cayler nodded once more. "That's true. Thanks again."

"You're welcome."

August came back with her brothers and dad. "We'll move her to the basement for now," her older brother, Tony, said, and Jensen nodded. The three men carefully carried Jadance down to the basement.

"Everything seems like it's on fast-forward," Amy sighed. I agreed with her because, ever since Yellowstone, my life has been a blur. That day, I was on the school bus going home, so I didn't know what happened until Mom informed me.

Cayler placed a hand on my shoulder, "hey, Kenneth. Are you going to be okay?"

I shrugged. Sure, my eyes stung, but I was fairly certain I'd be fine. "What about you?"