Chapter 21 - Kenneth

I squeezed my eyes shut; it was war again. This one would be longer than a few days like the one with Lux. Therefore, bloodier. Hopefully, the blockades would do their jobs and slow them down. Gunshots filled the air, but Angel's screams were louder. Luckily, we had more medical professionals than in the last war. Over the walkie-talkie, Laya yelled and panicked, "they're burning down the forest! Get out now!" Wyatt and his group of fifty-one people ran out. At least two had to be carried, and they laid one on my table. The fire covered his face with black soot. I grabbed a damp rag and whipped it clean.

"Edison," the man coughed. I shook my head, confused. I had never even asked his name. Then he said it again.

"What does Edison mean? I've got a man on a table repeating it. Over."

After a few seconds, Sarah answered, "it means light. You know, Thomas Edison? But why would someone say light when it's in the middle of the day? Over."

"I think he means for us to light them up. Over," Gavriel said.

Jensen cut in, "Gavriel, not yet. Use it sparingly. We don't want to cause another Hiroshima, over."

I was zombified as I applied bandages to the wounds. Sometimes, I tore sheets. We'd use them as bandages if we were to run out. "I've got an idea," Shaun said as he ran into the basement and came back with gasoline.

I turned to him. "What are you doing? You could hurt our men."

"No, I'll just make it rain on the Psychos."

"How? It's not possible," I yelled. "We don't have any way of knowing if they'll get hit!"

Shaun scoffed, "you've never been in a war, and I mean before, Yellowstone. Don't teach me how to fight, and I won't teach you how to treat the wounded."

Instead of answering, I turned to Shiloh and Shaun left. "I'm surprised no one on our side has died yet," my cousin said.

"That'll change if Shaun uses the gas," I said. "He's lost his mind! I just found out what his plans are. He's—"

"Planning on causing an explosion with the forest fire," Shiloh gasped. August, Sarah-April and Ellie panicked. They had only come into the garage to tell us that Angel had another son. Instead, Ellie got the news of her husband's plan. Ellie quickly rushed toward the door, but I ran ahead of her. "He'll kill himself!"

"Ellie, if you go out there, you'll get yourself killed."

"He's my bloody husband!"

"Do you want Isaac and Iris to be orphans?" The woman didn't answer, but Sarah-April said someone should stop Shaun. I volunteered since I was the only one of the five without kids. I was glad we had set up the "hospital" in the garage and had both of the doors open for easier entrance for the injured. We'd close the doors when we were in danger.

I ran out of the garage and yelled through the walkie-talkie, "Wyatt! Shaun's about to pour gas on the fire. Is everyone away from it?"

"Yeah, and I think it's over at Gavriel's. Be safe."

"Thanks. You too."

I trudged through the ash. How can someone be safe during a war? I began trying to run, but someone pulled me down into a trench. "Kenneth?" A man asked, and I recognized the voice. Ashton sat there while Cade and Justin stood with their eye on their M16s' scopes. "What are you doing here? Where are Lily and Kairi?"

"They're treating the wounded near here. Don't worry, we know the difference between the Psychos and New Haven. The Psychos have blonde hair and blue eyes."

I stopped trying to grab a knife from my pocket. "So, like the Aryans of Hitler's perfect race?"

Ashton nodded, "and to answer your other question, we heard shots and we're returning the favor." Cade and Justin fired, then Ashton handed them both a stick of dynamite. They lit and threw. A few seconds later, there was an explosion, but I knew it was from Shaun's gasoline. Ashton, Cade, Justin, and I all ducked, covering our eyes and ears. I began cursing and Ashton shrugged, "it wasn't the dynamite I handed you."