34 | PROUD OF HIS GIRL |

Outer Banks, Thornton's houseJuly 20th, 20201:26pm

July 20th, 2020
1:26pm

"Babe 5 more minutes," I groaned as the smell of overcooked food filled my nostrils.

My boyfriend kissed my forehead and sighed, before brushing a few strands of hair that were bothering me off my face. I opened my eyes and rolled them, before slowly sitting up and looking at him. He was holding up a plate filled with what I guessed were pancakes, but because of how dark they were and their smell, I could tell he had burned them. "I made you breakfast," he said handing it to me along with a cup of coffee and a bunch of flowers.

I liked how he had been buying me flowers everyday for a little while without me exactly knowing why or even asking for it. My vases were full and so I gave a few of them to Wheezie so she could have some in her room, but receiving flowers everyday was never something I expected when I began to date Rafe. I smiled and grabbed the plate, thanking him with a soft nod. He kissed my cheek and I faked appreciating the taste of the awful breakfast he had made since he watched me carefully as I ate.

"That's- very good," I lied, smiling.

He bursted out in laugh and placed my plate on the nightstand before kissing me all over, which led me to lay back down on the huge and comfortable mattress. "You don't mean it, do you baby?" he muttered against my skin.

"R-Rafe, I need to show you something," I broke in, unsure why this moment felt like the best one to announce him.

To announce him how our lives would change and we'd never have to worry about Barry or his dad or anything again. We could just travel the world, or leave everything behind us and go live on a desert island, together. With not a single worry in our heads. Just love filing our hearts and blessing our souls. I sat up and reached out for my backpack before shoving my hand inside it and grabbing the envelope in which the check was. I gave it to Rafe who seemed not to understand quite well the situation.

"What is it?" he asked, looking at what I had just given him. "Are we having a baby?" he asked again, a firm smile on his lips which was pretty confusing to me but I laughed.

"No we're not dumbass, just open it," I ordered.

He did as I told him to and as his eyes laid on the check, he almost immediately looked up at me, maybe to make sure it wasn't a prank or a misunderstanding. I could honestly understand it was hard for him to just put up with the fact the check was ours, because I had not told him we had found the Merchant and so he was far from ever guessing the gold would ever be ours. Of course he knew it had eventually been found because at some point his father stole it, but after all that had happened in our lives ever since, I just knew he had other things to think about.

"Tessa what is this?" he asked me. "How'd you get this amount of money?"

"Prostitution," I joked.

"I'm not fucking joking," he breathed out, clenching his jaw.