Chapter 3: Cold water

Chloe’s POV

The sense of cold water slowly filling up my boots pulled me back to reality. I looked around me and groaned. We were in the murky water of the pond where I first met Noah.

The sun stood low in the sky, creating a beautiful glow over the snow tops of the pine trees surrounding the pond.

That man is a serious threat to my sanity. I had planned a jump to the Vampire Dimension Desert.

"Where the fuck are we?" Helena asked while pulling up her high-heeled boots, trying to avoid the cold water pouring in, but miserably failing.

I turned and dragged myself towards the south bank.Behind me, Gran sighed and followed me towards the water’s edge. I climbed up the bank and helped her out of the water. More splashing indicated that Helena was coming too.

Wringing out her wet clothes and shivering uncontrollably, Gran readjusted her bun and looked at me with a frown on her face.

“Something screwed up your concentration, dear?” she asked me while pulling one of her painted-on eyebrows up sky high.

"Yeah. Noah. The first time that I had my run in with our local vampire king was at this bloody cold pond. I have no idea why we ended up here now. I was thinking about some completely different location. Not the pond."

Gran sighed and rubbed her temples. "Well apparently you did. Unaware. So much talent, so little control; have you been doing your concentration exercises? The yoga? "

"Gran, please. This isn't the moment to complain about my poor concentration.”

"Well, it never is, honey. It never is! You should start taking your gifts more seriously, instead of fooling around with vampires. Stop dwelling in the past. Start focusing on the present."

I snapped and a bony knife protruded from my finger as I pointed to my metal fangs.

"It is a little bit late for that, Gran!"

"I told you not to mess with Dravec. Look at what games with Komar resulted in."

Gran gestured towards Helena with a disgusted look on her face.

I shook my head.

"I'm not responsible for the faults of our ancestors. Actually, I cleaned up their fucking mess. The poor lost souls no longer suffer from the hunger that we accidently created at their birth. It is gone. Isn’t that right, Helena?"

Helena looked up surprised "Yeah. It is gone. Completely. But..."

"See...!"

Helena shifted her weight on her other leg and crossed her arms.

"Chloe...hang on. There's more." she continued.

"More? What do you mean more?"

"We can't turn new vampires."

"What? Oh. Oh crap." I replied aghast. I hadn’t seen that one coming. I should have.

"Yeah…thanks to your wonderful intervention, we poor souls are now a dying species."

I was lost for words. After a lengthy painful pause in the conversation, Gran put a hand on my shoulder and asked, "Honey, what are we going to do now?"

"Reverse this shit!" Helena happily answered the question.

"Helena, I have no clue how." I responded with a frown on my face.

She stepped up to me and poked with one of her fingers in my shoulder.

“Noah isn’t letting this go this easily. He can’t now that he is vampire king. Darien and I are not the only vampires asking him to put consequences to your action. He will track you down.”