Chapter 2: The Great Escape

Noah's POV

I put my face in my hands and rubbed my temples. We were in even worse trouble than I thought. The only way to get back the core was a spell. And of course only a particular branch of witches could perform the fucking ritual. They needed to carry a particular combination of genes.

I closed the book and put it in my bag. Scraping my chair over the floor of my dad's library, I frowned when I heard laboured breathing behind one of the bookcases.

Oh damn...the rabbits were at it again. They could at least have the decency to go somewhere more private.

I sighed and swung the bag over my shoulder. I opened my mouth to get them moving but decided against it. Helena had too much background with the Faulkners.

She had left The Prince of Darkness to be with Reed. A witch doggy. That was just too funny for words. Darien had been furious. He had drowned himself in the biggest and bloodiest blood fest I had ever seen. Oh God, Laz Vamgaz had been fun. We should do it again. The severed arm gambling machines had been hilarious.

The shaking of the bookcases came to a halt and I turned to walk back to the entrance.

Yeah…Let's not involve the rabbits. Too complicated.

I felt a hand pulling my arm back midstride. “You are not going anywhere near her without me being around.” Helena interrupted.

“I will not let you hurt her…”she continued but Darien crept up behind her and whacked her out cold.

"She should fucking straighten out her priorities." he muttered while lifting her over his shoulder and following me out of the library.

“So you two are coming?” I asked with a sigh.

“Of course we are. This Chloe girl sounds like a handful.” He responded.

He threw Helena’s limp body in the back of the car and walked around it to the driver’s seat. As soon as my bum touched the seat, he pushed down the gas-pedal and sped off down the road. We raced through the gate towards the village where Chloe's grandmother lived.

We passed the pond where Chloe had send me straight back to hell with a transportation spell. She had stood there completely naked, the droplets glistening like tiny diamonds on her flawless pale skin. I rubbed my face. I shouldn't let her get to me like this. She will take advantage of it. I would.

We passed a road sign “Roden Springs 13 miles”.

Darien turned onto the next gravel road, waking up Helena. She touched the back of her scalp and groaned.

"Are you okay?" I asked her.

“I will be after I’ve redecorated the asshole’s face with a shovel.” She responded angrily.

We drove towards a big Southern looking house surrounded by tall trees.

“Faulkner house.” She muttered when she saw it.

She was quiet for a while before she continued.

"Chloe will not be taken without a fight. The same is true for Mrs. Faulkner."

"We'll see."

The house was painted a dusty mint green and had a big white veranda on the side facing the road. Two hanging lights lighted the front door. An old woman was standing in the doorway, her arms crossed and a worried look on her face.

As soon as we stopped in front of the house the woman stormed down the steps towards our car. She came to a halt in front of Helena's window and peered in.