20 : appreciating friendship

— Everleigh

Every day, Sasha would come by to not only pick me up for work but take me home as well

Every day, Sasha would come by to not only pick me up for work but take me home as well. I stopped questioning him after being met with silence only about the third or fourth time. Every car ride was filled with such loud silence.

Not to mention, Xyah completely stopped talking to me. One day, I noticed a bruise on her shoulder, and when I went to ask her about it, she brushed past me and slammed and locked her door. I wanted to cry because it felt as though I was completely losing my friendship and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Just like that, I could feel my depression creeping up on me. If I wasn't working or doing schoolwork, I was in my room with my doors locked, under my blanket, ignoring anyone and anything.

It was late. I had just finished my shift, the club was dying down, and my VIP section had vanished. I stepped out into the cool air. Fall was coming, and it made its appearance known with the dramatic temperature drop. I had my jacket wrapped around me as I made sure to secure every part of my body with it by keeping it shut with my fist. Just like I anticipated, Sasha pulled up in front of me.

I quickly opened the passenger door and got in. The heat from the car fought the coolness of my skin. I found myself very grateful for the heater. I didn't think I could stand another moment in the cold.

"Thanks," I muttered, knowing he wasn't going to respond to me. He never did anymore.

He drove off down the road. I focused my attention outside the window. I couldn't wait to save up enough money to fix my car. It was something my father had gifted me when I went to college. He got me a car—it wasn't too flashy, but I was thankful. Sadly, it broke down, leaving me without a vehicle.

I had to get a new engine to be able to drive it. I just was debating on getting a whole new car since the cost would be about the same.

Suddenly, I remembered something. My father retired from his job and wasn't making as much money anymore. So, he couldn't afford to live in the very house I grew up in. This past weekend, I had gone to my father's and was helping him pack since he was moving into a one-bedroom apartment, and I found something. I dug into my purse and pulled it out, holding it up for Sasha to see.

He glanced at me once and had to look again.

"You remember this?" I smiled. It was a teddy bear that was missing one eye. It was actually very small and made out of almost yarn material.

Sasha had given it to me when it was my birthday. He didn't know it was my birthday until I came into school with cupcakes. As a last minute gift, he gave me his favorite toy. I cherished it ever since.

"Yeah." He chuckled. It was the first reaction I got out of him that wasn't so serious.

He turned back to the road just as he pulled into my apartments. I watched as he parked his car in his usual spot, directly in front of the walkway.