Chapter 22 (Finale)

3 years later...

Rachel's POV:

I slipped on my graduation gown, a smile glued to my face, in front of the mirror. 

I was proud of myself for making it this far because it had been a bumpy road. Dad, for one thing, didn't help my case. It was like he had gone astray for the second time, and I was fully convinced that it was thanks to the day he made the choice to start over with Audrey. He should have known better. He could have been living a carefree life instead of returning to the daily fights. 

As I saw it all unfold before my eyes, I realized one thing: Every choice counts, and I couldn't be reckless with mine like he was. Dad had become my not to-dos in life once again. So, my first choice was to move out of that house permanently. Being all alone was terrifying at first, but it eventually got comfortable. I finally had my own to space. A space filled with silence to think and rest without my anxiety reaching its peak. It had been so difficult dealing with their drama on top of the breakup.

Zack.

His name had grown novel to my tongue. 

We hadn't spoken ever since.

I could never forget the piercing pain in my heart as I tried to get over him as if I was being constantly stabbed in the heart, all the sleepless nights I had pulled, and the countless tears I had shed. I was missing a part of me. I was all hollow inside. 

I didn't regret, though. I wouldn't trade this experience for a peace of mind any day. I had loved him to bits and pieces, and he shared my feelings. Could I have been any luckier?

I put on my black high heels and with wide, confident steps, I made it out of the rental unit I was able to stay at after juggling a couple of part-time jobs. It wasn't an easy journey, but all I could think of was 'I did it.'

I inhaled a deep breath of fresh air once I was through the apartment's door as my smile stretched and then, let my feet take me to a place that was more familiar than my own home, college.

Even though excitement was coursing through my veins at the thought of graduating and officially beginning my life as an independent adult, I, at the same time, found it hard to grasp. It all went by meteorically. 

When I got there, people wearing gowns were dispersed all over the campus ground, happy songs were playing and it felt, overall, lively.

Any other person would have felt content, but my eyes wandered as if something was missing.

What was I searching for?

Zack then came into view, his brown hair, which was shorter, swept neatly to the side and his hazel eyes glistening under the sun, even from a distance, along with his black gown.

He was with Liam and the others, all four of them looking glamorous.

Zack was the answer. 

I was searching for Zack.

I then spotted Sophie and Jeremy coming up to me in a distance.

I sent eager hand waves their way, happy to see them. 

Holding wide smiles, they waved back.

I should have anticipated that once Sophie was close enough, she would fling her arms around my neck, squeezing the life out of me. 

'I can't believe we're graduating!', she exclaimed, followed by a delightful squeal. 

'I know right!', I said, the tone of my voice expressing my deep excitement.