Chapter 2: Mate

Lucien Pov

November 16th like any other day before. That is what I thought at least.

Being the Alpha of the Blue Nightshade pack had me tied to a repetitive schedule. Training, paperwork, and marking the territory which is just patrol. I never wanted this, but my parents insisted. My older sister could have taken the spot like she was supposed to, but she just happened to mate with an alpha from another pack. Now here I am having this annoying repeated schedule repeatedly when I want to chill out and vibe on a couch all day to watch dramas.

Whilst grumbling through my thoughts like I usually do, the scent of a wolf not of my pack intruded my nose. It was not like the disgusting scent of a rogue, but it was the smell of omega. The scent was sending Zephyr over the moon. The new scent was of peaches and rain, and it ran through my nose like a drug.

Zephyr was trying to claw himself out to take control, which was not going to happen. I mind-linked my beta wolves to come and check out the scent with me.

The thought of the wolf who owned the scent being my mate came into mind. Zephyr replied to my thoughts with "No shit Sherlock" with that, I smiled as I have just recently started to give up on finding my mate. I looked for the last four years. Who knew that they would appear in front of me like in one of those fairy tales?

My betas on the other hand have found their mates and are living in bliss. Me, however, found mine at the age of 22. It was a whole long 6 years of not being able to find my mate. Most find their mates at age 16. Not that I am complaining or anything, but I am.

My two right-hand men who had the second highest rankings in my pack always teased me about it. They were my best friends and the only ones who dared to make fun of me, which they did every time they were free.

My beta, Alexander, found his mate at the age of 17. His mate is a male omega named Connor Moore who can put up with his antics. On the other side of the spectrum, we have my other beta, Xavier who found his mate at 16. His mate is a beta female who is scary at times. This leaves me with no one... until today. I just hope they are not from the Midnight Rose pack.

My thoughts came to a halt as soon as I saw the clearing where the scent was coming from. I was in the tree line when I saw a very tiny, small red wolf. In no exaggeration the size made them look like a normal sized dog. They were lying down in the middle of the meadow that I had never come across through all my patrols.

I was anxious, and my paws were shifting around when I heard the snap of a branch under me. The sound echoed through the empty space. The red wolves' heads snapping towards my direction. They were staring right at me now.

The wolf did not make any move to get up from his position. Their eyes and ears were on me. I could now clearly see that he was a painfully obvious male omega he composed himself. Not that it mattered as much now as it did in the past, but it was not the best for my position.

His ears would flicker towards the sound whenever you could hear a separate sound like a bird chirping or when the trees creaked.

I decided to walk closer up to him.

He continued to lay there and looked like he forgot how to breathe a bit. He was staring at me very intently.

He was indeed red and such a red you would think his eyes would be brown, but they were not. One was a light sky blue and the other was a lilac purple. It was rare enough that he had heterochromia (two different eye colors), but he also had a purple eye which was even more unusual. Overall, his wolf form was incredibly beautiful.