Chapter One

Chapter One: The Siege Begins
In January 2018, the siege began, and food was becoming scarce. The only food that would enter was through smuggling. We didn't have many options, and the food available in the market was sold at a very high price. However, there were still fresh fruits and vegetables. Those days we were still in control of many villages, like Gharaneej, Hajin, Keshma, Sha'fah, Susah, Al-Marashida, and AlBaghuz. There was a long main road going through each village. One could drive from Hajin to Baghuz within two hours if they took the straight route.

As the months passed, the situation worsened, and uncertainty loomed in the air. Around April 2018, fresh goods disappeared from the market. Many people previously planted vegetables in their gardens and would sell them. However, they would be the first to get sold, and many people couldn't get a hold of any. There was a time I bought unripe mini onions, and I was very grateful that I could finally add some flavor to the food. Although things were getting worse and the enemy surrounded us, I still held on to the hope that Allah would grant us a way out despite having everything working against us.

As the Kurds gained more territory, their confidence grew, and they claimed that within a few months, they would wipe out our group and have our lands. A claim they would make after every village we lost. Thereupon, I would remind myself to be patient and firmly believe that Allah, in His miraculous ways, would make a way out. One would wonder what was going through our minds to live in such conditions, blocked off from the outside world and surrounded by only one main road, awaiting victory. Well, to that, I reply, it was the love of the deen that kept us patient. A legend once said, "For you to be a caretaker of a flock of sheep in Dar al-Islam is better for you than to be a rich-obeyed man in Dar al-Kufr."

I did not want to face the humiliation the enemy would put us through, and I desired to stay under our own rule for as long as possible. I could not have imagined that I would ever leave, so I held on to hope in Allah that He would grant us a way out.

The Last Front: Baghuz ~ My narration of the events leading up to the fall.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara