One

My imagination created this story based on one of my favorite songs (written and performed by John Lennon). It is set in a world created by Crystal Scherer in her work, 'Upon Wings of Change'. This wonderful and talented author has permitted me to use the book and her characters!

Please vote and comment with your thoughts or corrections! This book has a bonus chapter written that I will post once it hits 100 votes.

*******

Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try

*******

I'm so excited that the eggs finally hatched! I can't wait to see the new silver and gold dragonets!

My name is Clover, and I'm only four months old, a second-generation Dragonet; my parents are from the original lab that created us.

You see, scientists kidnapped and experimented on my parents when this world was still human, creating a species that looked like a miniature winged dragon. It was overheard that if they were sentient, they would be killed, so they acted like animals, primarily catlike traits, since they were that size. Well, cats that could fly!

They were kept in cages so small they could barely spread their wings open while the scientists continued to create more. A few years into this experiment, an alien race called the Votaks attacked the planet. These invaders killed all of the humans. The dragonets escaped the lab during the initial attack and hid in the denser part of the Amazon rainforest, where this lab was initially set up. Within days, these aliens released animals onto the planet from all over the galaxy. Over half of all native creatures died as a result of this.

The dragonets learned a few things about themselves in those first few weeks. The first big thing was that they could breathe fire like the dragons of myth and legend. The second was The Morning Song. Every day as the sun rises, the need to celebrate it calls to us, and we sing and dance to whatever theme the daybreak brings. They never felt it in the lab, as their cages were in a windowless room.

A few months later, another alien race, the Kymari, removed the Votaks. The Kymari were appalled that the intelligent beings were killed off simply to get a habitable planet near the edge of this universe. Any Votak that fought was killed, and the rest were sent back to their region of space. Since the earth was empty, the Kymari built their own cities with high walls to keep the dangerous animals out. Those walls are guarded well.

After a few years of living in the wild, we had lost a little over one-fourth of our population to accidents or animals without fear of our fire. From what we could figure out by listening in on the guards' conversations, the Kymari do not tolerate other races on their planets, so we never let them know that we can think and are aware. After the threat of death from the humans, we were scared of all races.

To stay alive, we moved into a vast park in the center of a Kymari city. The park has hundreds of edible fruit trees from Earth and other galaxies. Several small and large ponds are situated throughout it, and it takes over an hour to fly from one side to the other. We eat fruit mostly while some of the first generation eat fish, so this park became our little Utopia. The Kymari leave us alone, as we aren't a threat. But they love observing us, like human bird watchers.