014

"Yeah. Yeah, of course, I'll just go out," Dahlia nods, discreetly swallowing thickly again. "I'll be outside."

"Not in any more sun, though, I hope," Jenna smiles, already beginning to unclasp the back of her swimsuit and pulling the towel from the shower door.

"Of course," she laughs awkwardly, moving to the door. "I'll...be out here."

"Congrats," she tells her, not even giving a second glance as she starts stripping down. Dahlia shuts the door behind her quickly.

She gets finished after around twenty minutes, letting her take her turn in the shower to get ready. She has to take a kinda-cold shower to not hurt her sunburn, which sucks, but it just makes her get done quicker, anyway.

Right as she's about to be done, she hears a loud knock on the door. Except it's in the front, not the back.

"Uh," she turns the water off, gulping. "Who is it?!"

"Jenna open up this door!" her mom's voice echoes through the room, and Dahlia gulps as she jumps out and throws a towel around herself right as Jenna walks in through the back. Dahlia feels like she's about to have a heart attack.

"Fine, mom, I'm coming!" Jenna groans, unlocking the door and swinging it open. "What?"

"You two are riding with me," her mom walks in, looking around their bungalow now in disapproval. As always. Then she sees Dahlia, who is soaking wet and breathing heavily because it all happened so fast.

"Um..." she gulps, holding onto her towel for dear life. "Hi, Miss Ortega."

"Why don't you put on some clothes, Dahlia," her mom sighs, now turning to Jenna.

"Yeah, sorry," Dahlia scrambles to grab her clothes, then goes in the bathroom and shuts the door.

As soon as she starts putting her clothes on, she hears them arguing in the room.

"So are you going to get ready? It's almost time to meet your aunt at the restaurant." Her mom tells her, annoyed.

"I am ready," Jenna replies, trying to keep her voice low. Dahlia isn't meaning to eavesdrop, but she can't help it. This door does nothing to block sound. "I fixed my hair, and I'm wearing one of the dresses you got me."

"And didn't you forget one thing? You know it's called makeup for a reason, right? To make up for all of your flaws," her mom tells her, talking to her like she's stupid. "Really, Jenna, it isn't that hard to grasp."

"Mom," Jenna sighs, and Dahlia gulps. Her mom treats her so badly that it makes her sick. "I don't even own makeup. I'm trying so hard here. So hard to keep the peace, and not to fight."

"Yeah, well you aren't trying hard enough then," her mom tells her, and then she hears them sit on the bed where she's most likely doing her makeup.

Dahlia backs away from the door then, finally getting dressed and doing her best to fix her hair the way Jenna did yesterday. Then, after building up courage, she walks out.

They're sitting on the bed, and her mom is putting mascara on Jenna. They both turn and look at her when she walks in, and she smiles awkwardly.

"Put some lip gloss on at least," her mom orders Dahlia, before turning back to Jenna and continuing her task.

"Oh yeah, of course, sorry," Dahlia nods, grabbing a clear lip gloss from the desk before applying it.

"Okay then, I think we're ready," her mom sticks the mascara back in her bag, stands up, and walks out.

Dahlia and Jenna look at each other, before following behind her.

"You okay?" Dahlia whispers to her, lightly nudging her while they walk down the dock.