Chapter 2

Chase realized the moment they got in the door that he definitely was not a secret party animal. He didn't know what the song playing was called, but it was too loud to differentiate between the base and words anyway so it wouldn't have mattered if it was a song he liked, he just knew his ears felt like they were throbbing and the entire room smelled of booze with a vague note of weed.

Wren only gave him a small, annoyingly smug smile when he caught Chase's obvious general discomfort. "You know, if you want, we can just hop back in the car and I can take you home. Not everyone can be the life of the party."

Chase glared, straightening his sweater. "Fuck off. I'm going to have fun and you can't do anything about it," he said, fully prepared to force himself to have 'fun' in the name of spiting Wren. There was no way he could just turn around and go home now, even as much as he wanted to. He knew he'd never live it down.

"Whatever you say, Mouse," Wren said, walking past him with his hands stuffed in his pockets as he made his way through the crowds of people.

Chase panicked for a moment before grabbing Wren's sleeve to keep him from getting too far ahead. "Wait-"

Wren turned around, only arching a brow when he saw Chase looking at him with wide, anxious eyes.

"I don't know anyone here," Chase murmured, though he let go of Wren after a moment.

Wren sighed with a smile, casually wrapping an arm around Chase's shoulders as he guided him through the crowd. "Come on, I've got some people for you to meet," He said just loud enough for Chase to hear it.

It only took a few minutes for Wren to find his friends. Chase had never met any of them, though he'd seen them around school. One was a tall Japanese boy, Kai, who Chase could only describe as terrifyingly attractive with hair that was black on top and lavender underneath pulled up into a half-up ponytail to display the many silver rings that decorated his ears. He looked like he was comfortable taking up space and something about that mesmerized Chase. Wren was also friends with a pretty brunette girl, Harper, who Chase recognized as the head of the cheer team. She had the most piercing blue eyes he had ever seen, which kind of scared him, though she seemed sweet.

"Trey's kid brother begged me to bring him along, so this is Chase," Wren said with a little smirk and Chase elbowed him.

"I am my own person, you know."

"Well, that's what you get for tagging along. I said I wouldn't babysit, and yet here I am, babysitting," Wren stuffed his hands in his pockets with a shrug as Chase rolled his eyes.

"Aw, come on, don't tease him. He's cute!" Harper said with a smile, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear. "We're happy to have you, Chase."

"Speak for yourself," Kai said, looking over Chase with a scrutinizing gaze before he glanced at Wren skeptically. "He looks like he'd get drunk off of a White Claw."

Wren chuckled. "The kid came looking for a good time, you can't deny him that. I mean, just look at his adorable little face," He said as he pinched Chase's cheek with a grin and the younger boy shooed away his hand, though he couldn't help the blush that spread from his cheeks to the tips of his ears.

Chase kicked Wren's foot in retaliation, but it wasn't hard enough to hurt. He didn't think he could hurt Wren if he tried.

Just then, a lanky blond with curly hair and a charismatic smile appeared seemingly out of nowhere. Hayden Caddel, the holy grail of high school fame and fortune. He was supposed to be humble and outgoing, though the look he gave Chase seemed to be more arrogant than friendly.

"Hey, looks like Wren brought his pet mouse with him," Hayden said with a grin, running his fingers through his hair as he inserted himself into the conversation. "You gotta keep him in his box, Wren, he'll get into the pantry."