Chapter 8

Trey and Wren agreed to take Chase and Taylor along to the party, and when that Friday night arrived, they drove them there and got them in. After that, Chase and Taylor were on their own to do whatever they wanted until midnight.

It really wasn't a very big party. It was much smaller than Hayden's; it must've only been fifty people or so, and there wasn't loud music or yelling. It was actually pretty quiet. There was soft music playing throughout the house and a few people talking here and there, drinking, or passing around a blunt, but it wasn't chaotic, it was fairly mellow.

"So this is why Bella's parties are so exclusive," Chase said as they walked around.

"Yeah, it's basically just a hangout," Taylor said with a shrug. "I told you you'd like it."

"I could be doing better things with my time," Chase said, glancing over at him. "But it's not the worst."

"Now, I just have to figure out how to talk to Kai," Taylor murmured, looking around a bit for him.

"Isn't he always with Trey and Wren?" Chase asked. "Why didn't you just follow them?"

"Because that would make me look like a little kid following my friend's older brother around trying to hang out with them," Taylor said and Chase just sighed, grabbing his wrist and pulling him in the direction that Trey and Wren had gone. Once he found the group, he let go of him.

"Hey, Kai, this is Taylor, he wants to talk to you," Chase said, nudging his friend forward who looked like a deer in the headlights, but after a moment he quietly laughed and scratched the back of his head.

"Hey, what's up?" he asked, giving a half-wave and Kai smiled, waving back and looking pretty interested in whatever had just happened.

"I'm glad you made it. You guys should come sit with us," Kai said, glancing over to Wren and Trey. "If that's cool."

"Yeah, I don't care," Trey said, taking a sip of whatever drink he had in his red solo cup.

Taylor took a seat next to Kai, making quiet conversation with him while Chase took the only other available spot, which happened to be next to Wren.

"Maybe you are a secret party animal after all," Wren whispered in his ear with a quiet chuckle and a shiver ran down Chase's back from how close he was.

"I just came for Taylor," he whispered back, crossing his arms as he tried to get more comfortable on the couch.

"Of course, you did," Wren said, resting his arm over the back of the couch as he leaned back a bit.

"Hey, what do you think of her?" Trey asked, nodding to a tall brunette across the room in a black cropped top and shorts with fishnets.

Wren looked at her for a moment, biting the inside of his cheek before shrugging a bit. "She's alright. She looks like she'd want to read your horoscope before giving you head, though."

"Maybe I want my horoscope read," Trey said, bumping Wren's knee with his own, a little grin on his face as he got up and walked over to her with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"I feel like I didn't need to know how much of a whore my brother is," Chase said once Trey was out of earshot.

"Whore is a derogative, slut-shaming term, Chase," Wren said, folding his hands behind his head. "If she's cool with it, why wouldn't it be perfectly acceptable for Trey to fuck a random girl at a party?"

"Well, yeah, of course you'd say that, sex means nothing to you," Chase remarked, a note of agitation in his tone. "But yeah, obviously nothing's wrong with that, he can do whatever he wants and so can she."