Chapter 7

It all happened in a blur. Moving through the monotonous corridors. Arriving at the infirmary, melting into one of their beds. A healer examining me. I paid no attention to any of it, to anyone. Their words were murmurs in my ears compared to the voices in my head. No matter how hard I tried to pay attention to the world around me, I couldn't. My mind would take me back to the village coated in fire. The sounds of swords slashing through flesh, my people screaming, fire crackling. The heat. . . the smell. . .

"Eva!"

A pair of hands seized my shoulders. In panic, my eyes flew open and I shoved him away, screaming. A young, ashen-haired man stared at me in terror, restrained by Grayson who had not left my side--per my request. I didn't want to be left alone any more. I'd been alone with enough strangers already.

I blinked, remembering where I was, who the man in front of me was.

"Jacob." My voice was a mere whisper, my throat dry.

Grayson handed me a cup as my brother sat on the bed, watching me drink. He was so pale and haggard. His eyes were red, hands covered in ash and mud. He held my hands with vigor. "Are you in any pain?"

I glanced at my wrists; the shackles were gone, but they'd left their mark on my skin. They were scabby and stung at the slightest movement. My face hurt more; there was a constant throb on the left side, a painful reminder.

"I'll live." Is that really what I sound like now? It couldn't have been my voice. It was so deadpan. Lifeless. I cleared my throat. "I mean," that sounded better, "I'll be okay."

Jacob smiled half-heartedly, squeezing my hands. "Good. . ." His smile disappeared. "Listen, I know this is going to be hard--for the both of us--but I-"

Grayson interrupted, seeing Jacob struggle for words. "Commander Hargin wants to know what happened."

I swallowed, suddenly feeling small and fragile. "I told you what happened." I really didn't want to have to go through it again. I wanted to keep the calm haze over my mind, it reminded me that I was alive, not empty, forever reliving that day.

"I know, but you weren't exactly in the right state of mind." Grayson's tone made me wince. He was so cold. I liked him better when he held me in silence and let me cry to my heart's content, no matter how ugly it got.

Jacob glared and shoved him. "Show a little compassion, man!"

Grayson shoved him back. "I'm doing this so you--or anyone else--don't have to. You know Ahura would be ten times worse." The grim line on his mouth and the furrow in his brow were merciless, but his eyes, try as they might to hide it, conveyed how much he hated having to badger me at a time like this.

Jacob clenched his fists, chest heaving, but then he relented with a huff and looked back at me, mumbling an apology to his partner. He came along side me and wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close. He kissed the top of my head. "It's okay, Eva. You're safe here. I won't let anyone hurt you."

He didn't understand. I wasn't scared for my life. I feared the screams. The smell. The hopeless anguish.

I remained silent.

Grayson, seeming to understand my hesitation, took my spare hand, his thumb gently brushing over the top of my hand. "You can do it, Eva."

Grudgingly, I told them what happened, describing the sigils the soldiers wore, their prince, how they attacked, but leaving out gruesome details they didn't need--or want--to know and I didn't want to remember. I went slowly, taking deep breaths to maintain my composure, always watching for Jacob's reactions. He winced when I mentioned what happened to Dad, "H-he told me to drop the sword. I did--but they killed him anyway! They dragged us out of the house. I tried to fight them, but there were so many. They found my scars . . and. . . and then they burned everything." I hiccuped then burst into tears. Jacob squeezed me tight, rubbing my back in soothing circles.