Chapter eighteen

"Look, Gumbo, there's your friend!" Kai pointed at Bouche, the Doberman, who was at least six times the size of Gumbo. Gumbo sprinted over as soon as he spotted the larger-than-life dog that came tearing down the steps towards the beach. Bouche saw Gumbo too and galloped through the sand to greet him before rolling him through the sand. Kai waved at his owner, who took a seat next to her on the wooden bench.

"Hey Kai. It's been a while." The woman kissed Kai on both cheeks, produced a pack of cigarettes out of her pocket and lit one.

"Delphine. Always a pleasure." Kai shook her head when Delphine offered her a cigarette. She rarely smoked, apart from the few times she'd ended up in bed with the woman who was now sitting next to her. Delphine was a lawyer from Nice, who was a regular at the same dog beach that Kai visited twice a week with Gumbo.

Kai wouldn't call her a friend. They rarely saw each other outside the beach, apart from a few summer nights last year when they'd had a couple of drinks after their dog walk and ended up in bed together. They'd been attracted to each other and the sex had been good, but there was never the spark that made either of them want to pick up the phone to set a date. Besides, they were too similar, especially when it came to women. They both liked the chase too much.

"How have you been?" Delphine asked. Kai watched her take a deep drag from her cigarette, exhaling towards the sky. Delphine had gained a bit of weight, she noticed, from the way her face had filled out, and it suited her. She was dressed in running tights and a sweater, and her blonde bob was tied up in a messy knot on top of her head. Kai always wondered what Delphine looked like in the courtroom, because she'd never seen her in anything other than her casual dog walking attire.

"Can't complain." Kai smiled as she watched the Doberman chase Gumbo over the beach, trying to keep up with him. "The business is doing well. I've been renting out the house. Other than that, there's not much to tell." She turned to Delphine and propped a foot on the bench. "What about you? You look good."

"Thanks," Delphine grinned, rolling her eyes. "I've met someone. Her name is Alice. We've been together for three months now." Her cheeks turned pink. "She owns a bakery in Nice. I bet you can tell I have a newfound passion for pastry." She laughed and slapped a hand on her thigh. "But I'm happy. She makes me happy."

"That's great." Kai turned to her, propping a leg up on the bench. "So, someone finally managed to tame you, huh?"

Delphine gave her a playful nudge. "Come on, I wasn't that bad, was I." She cocked her head. "What about you? Still single?"

Kai shrugged. "Yeah. I think so." She shook her head. "I mean, yes. I'm single." There was no need to tell her former fling about her infatuation with her tenant who would be leaving soon anyway. "But it suits me just fine."

"Of course it suits you. I've never known you any other way." Delphine hesitated. "But if you're ever thinking about going on a serious date, Alice has a couple of nice single friends. I'm sure she'd be happy to introduce you to them." She grinned. "Turns out being in a committed relationship isn't so bad after all. Even you might like it."

Kai laughed and shook her head. "Dog Beach Delphine is in love. Who would have thought? But as great as you are at selling this relationship stuff, I think I'm good. Thank you, though, it's nice of you to offer."

"Dog Beach Delphine? Is that how you referred to me when you discussed me with your friends?"

"I never discussed you, Delphine. What happened between us was private."

Delphine gave her a mocking look. "Yeah right. Nicknames don't just appear out of nowhere."

Kai held up a hand. "Okay, okay. I might have called you Dog Beach Delphine once or twice over a drink. But I can assure you that I never had a bad word to say about you." She stared ahead and frowned. "Wait... did you have a nickname for me too?"