Gifted

Colors on the wind,
Floating from a different world

Greet the dawn with a song
To welcome the daybreak

It's a melody I hear in my memory
Where I watch birds take flight off into the eastern sky

No time to waste .. Can we escape?
To a place where the treasure lies

Out here on the seven seas,
We will find our paradise

Can we be reborn in the wake of the storm?
So, that I can tell you the words of my heart

There is so much I would give to you,
But in one life there is not enough time

Underneath the waves there is a melody
Telling our story of faraway lands

I'll sing along so I won't forget
So through this song, may the tale live on

Loco finished her song, staring up at moon shining through the waves above, she wished she could see its full glow clearly, but she couldn't bring herself to even breach the water, not since...

She distracted herself by watching the migrating manta rays swim by, it got more spectacular to watch every year, technically she wasn't allowed to be this far from Atlantis, but fortunately she's never been caught.

She was always the quiet one in her school, the one that always sort of blended in the background, but she didn't mind, it had its perks, it meant no one ever really noticed her, especially the guards.

Loco couldn't stop a giggle escape her lips, she decided to head back before anyone noticed she was gone.

"See you guys next year." She said to rays as she took of and headed back to home, as much as a school dorm could be called home anyway.

{The Next Day}

Back in Shayeris, Loco let out a sigh as she swam through the halls of the school until she heard two other students zoom past her in excitement, saying that the King Orin and Queen Mera had arrived at their school, she perked up hearing this and she sped off in the same direction.

Orin lived on the surface before he became king, he is the Aquaman, maybe she could even get to ask him everything she wanted to know about.

But when she got there she could barely see either of them through the crowd of other students, she tried to squeeze and slip through, but she kept being pushed all the way to the back.

"Please guys, I want meet the king and queen too." She begged, but a much more forceful shove knocked her on the ground.

"Why would the king and queen ever want to meet a nobody like you?" A boy said callously.

"Yeah, get lost Loco." The girl next to him started to laugh, along with all of their friends.

Not knowing how to reply or wanting to cause a scene in front of the royals and her eyes beginning to well up, (as much as they could underwater anyways) Loco left, but not before catching, the eye of her royal highness.

Loco was curled up underneath the school's dolphin statue, with her knee to her chest, she always came here when she felt lonely. Many say the statue was an actual dolphin once, but it was accidentally hit with a petrification spell, and they placed it there as a reminder of sorts, but nobody was certain if the story was real or not.

Loco sucked in another breath, she hated it here, she didn't have friends, she had even seen so much as a spark of magic manifest in her, and worst of all... she didn't have her mother to comfort her.

She looked up at the statue of the dolphin, she couldn't imagine what must be like being frozen in stone for who knows how long, being separated from your pod, you were just stuck, they could relate to each other in one way at least.

"I wish I could free you Mr. dolphin, that way at least one of us could get out of here." She spoke shakily, going back to hugging herself.

Who was she kidding, she couldn't do this on her own, she couldn't become a great sorceress, let alone set foot on land. Those other kids were right, she was a nobody.

Just then, a faint light caught her eye, they widened, her arms were glowing! Skin icons... She finally got her skin icons!

They were strange wavy lines and spirals, it kind of reminded her of a current, even her hands sparkled, a light magenta aura surrounding them.

(Something like this)

"Ok... this is new." She said, trying to remain calm, she looked back to statue again, it was like something inside of her was guiding her what to do.

And she had no intention of refusing.

She swam right up to the dolphin's face and placed her hands gently on his head, then taking them off, the same magenta aura now surrounded the statue's entire form.

"This creature petrified and stone,
Return him please to flesh and bone."

She muttered, and with one bright flash, it was done, the dolphin was un-petrified. Loco's jaw dropped.

"It worked... it actually worked!" She squealed, so did the dolphin, swimming around her in excitement for the first time in ages.

He nuzzled her with all the gratitude he had and she gladly returned it, stroking his muzzle.

"Go, go find your family." She didn't have to tell him twice. He swam straight off and she watched him go with a sweet smile.

All that came to a close when she saw Queen Mera standing right in front of her and she froze.

The queen looked utterly speechless.

"How... how did you do that?" She asked.

Loco thought for a moment.

"I just... said please." She replied with plain smile, as if that's all she needed to say for an explanation.