Downtime

(A/N: I'm not very good at writing fight scenes, so please bare with me. Thank you 💖)

"Recognised: Aqualad, B02." The zeta tube announced as Kaldur he entered through the Poseidonis gate.

"Greetings Kaldur'ahm." Aquaman welcomed his protege.

"King Orin." Kaldur returned the greeting.

They swam together.
"The Queen and I are hosting an intimate dinner tonight. Will you attend?" King Orin asked.

"Your Majesty..." Kaldur hesitated for a moment. "There is someone... special... I'd hoped to see tonight."

"You may invite a friend."

"Thank you, My King."

"Until tonight." They both swam their separate ways, Kaldur going to see this special person.

{At the conservatory}

Tula and Garth were on the roof practicing their combat training, under Queen Mera's watch, Loco stood off to the side near her, as it was her turn yet.

She watched with amazed eyes as Garth dodged a projectile send by Tula and quickly formed a shield to block another.

"Nice one Garth!" Loco praised.

"Your technique is excellent, but your choices remain predictable." Queen Mera critiqued. "Combat sorcery demands... improvisation."

Loco noticed someone swimming towards them, he didn't look like anyone she recognised, and she's met nearly everyone at the conservatory.

"Kaldur'ahm! so good to see you." Queen Mera greeted happily to the new arrival.

"Kaldur!" Tula beamed.

"Apologies my queen, I did not mean to interrupt." Said Kaldur.

"It is well, I have another class, will I see you at dinner." Mera asked.

"Yes your majesty."

"We shall talk then." Mera left, leaving to tend to her other students.

"You look well Kaldur." Tula hugged him.

"Yes." Garth agreed. "Surface life agrees with you."

Wait... Surface life?

"You speak as if I have been gone for years, but it has only been-"

"Two months." Tula and Garth finished for him.

"That long?" Kaldur said to himself.

"Aren't you two going to introduce us?" Loco asked, gaining their attentions.

"Yes, of course." Tula said apologetically, forgetting Loco was there. "Kaldur, this is Loco, the newest student of the conservatory."

Kaldur smiled warmly at the young girl.
"It is a pleasure to meet you."

"Are you really Aqualad?" Loco asked, Kaldur nodded.

Loco gasped loudly and swam right up to Kaldur's face.

"Oh my gosh that means you've been to the surface! Tell me everything! What does breathing feel like? Do flowers smell as lovely as they say?" Loco gasped loudly once more.

"WHAT DOES ICE CREAM TASTE LIKE?!" The bluntness and speed she spoke left Kaldur unsure how to respond.

Garth chuckled.
"Calm yourself young one."