The beginning of the story.

There was once a magnificent kingdom situated somewhere in England. This amazing kingdom was quite spectacular; it had a beautiful castle and a town with fair laws and gentle people. Unlike the king, Uther Pendragon, the prince of Camelot was very popular among his people. He was very friendly, considerate and always looked out for the health and wellbeing of the citizens in his kingdom. He was a fearless knight of Camelot and his name was Arthur Pendragon. Sometimes Arthur could be an arrogant know-it-all and show-off but he was also very brave, tactful, and a talented swordsman. Now, Arthur wouldn't be such a legend that he is without his trusty man-servant by his side, Merlin.

The prince pretended to be an unemotional guy that didn't care for romance but Merlin knew different. The young Pendragon had a huge soft spot for his man-servant. Arthur was quite an attractive-looking man; he was of a medium build and was quite tall. He had straight, sandy brown hair and the most beautiful eyes Merlin had ever seen. They would change colours on a regular basis; they would be the colour of a clear blue ocean one day then a hazel-y colour the next. Merlin used to say that Arthur's eyes would invent a new colour every day. Merlin was as sweet and generous as Arthur was strong and proud. He may have just been a man-servant but he was very special and very loved. Merlin always thought of others before himself and he never failed to lend a helping hand to anyone who needed one, he was a very caring and selfless person. Merlin had dark brown hair and his eyes were a beautiful dark shade of blue. He was slender and on the shorter side. When these events came to pass Arthur was 24 and Merlin was 22.

One late summer Arthur had disappeared from the castle for over a week and no one knew where he was or if he was even alive. But he did, in fact, stride back into Camelot a week later on his horse accompanied by his man-servant, Merlin. Several different rumours spread throughout the kingdom like wildfire, such as Arthur had taken on a dragon or Arthur challenged sea monsters and defeated gods. Now none of these rumours were true but Arthur let the people gossip and believe what they want because he had enjoyed the romantic week away with his man-servant. Whenever Arthur was around Merlin wasn't far behind, even for a servant, so other scandal-type rumours spread. "I've heard Arthur has a thing for his man-servant ", "People say another servant walked in on Arthur and Merlin kissing" and "Two men, there's no way Uther allows that, even his own son" were all words passed from townsfolk to townsfolk and they weren't too far off. Although no servant every walked in on them kissing because they were very careful. Arthur and Merlin both knew what people thought of them and said behind their backs but they also believed it was okay to love whoever you want. The only real problem they faced was Arthur's unaccepting, homophobic father but so far he hadn't said anything so they felt safe; a fake sense of security. They felt as if what they had would never end, which as you'll find out wasn't a good move.

Arthur was preparing for his knight training and by preparing I mean Merlin did all the work as Arthur stood there. Merlin carefully placed the chain mail armour over Arthur's head and rested it on his chest.

"Have you sharpened my sword lately?" Arthur asked looking over to the rather blunt-looking blade.

"No sire. I deeply apologize but someone has been keeping me up at night" Merlin cheekily replied, giving Arthur a smug smile.

"Is there cause for me to be jealous?" Arthur flirted, as Merlin tightened up his armour.

"I'm not sure. Are you jealous?" Merlin teased placing his hand on Arthur's chest.

"Well I can't be sharing you with anyone" Arthur whispered sweetly, covering Merlin's hand with his own and wrapping his other hand around the smaller man's waist. Merlin entwined his fingers with Arthur's whilst staring into Arthur's eyes lovingly.

"...and you'll never have to" Merlin assured, sweetly squeezing the prince's hand.

"Have I ever told you that I love-"Arthur begun but was interrupted by his chamber doors swinging open. Arthur and Merlin frantically untangled themselves and jumped apart as a split second later Arthur's father walked into the room.

"Yes father?" Arthur greeted, annoyed that Merlin and him were separated.

"Are you forgetting your training, boy?" Uther, Arthur's father, asked condescendingly before giving the two men a suspicious look.

"Merlin here was just helping me with my armour, you know him being my man-servant and all" Arthur explained grumpily as Merlin handed him his leather gloves. Arthur smiled and thanked his man-servant.

"You better get outside then" Uther demanded.

Arthur rolled his eyes then turned back to Merlin, "Meet me in the training yard in 30 minutes and bring me my sharpened sword" Arthur winked. The man-servant nodded and Arthur pushed past his father to head for the training yard to meet the other knights. After the prince was out of the room and down the hall Uther walked up to Merlin until they were only half a metre apart causing Merlin to tense up.

"Apart from aiding my son in his duties to this kingdom you will stay away from him or I will banish you from Camelot" The king warned. Merlin squirmed under Uther's intense gaze.

"Yes my lord" Merlin whispered, staring guiltily at his dirty shoes.

"Two men do not share a bed, do you understand?" Uther asked slightly raising his voice. The man-servant sadly nodded without looking up. "I said, do you understand?!" He repeated, shouting now. Merlin jumped nervously.

"Yes sire" Merlin spoke, his voice low and feeble. Suddenly Uther raised his enormous fist and punched Merlin right in the nose and then again on the cheek. Blood started to pour instantly from Merlin's nose. As Merlin stumbled backwards Uther grabbed his shoulders then lifted his own knee up and with a huge amount of force and slammed it into Merlin's stomach. Merlin yelped from the pain and fell into Uther's grip.

"Please..." Merlin whimpered. Uther ignored the pleas of the servant and threw him to the ground. As Merlin laid on the floor he clutched his stomach and groaned.

"Take that as a warning" Uther announced victoriously before storming out of his son's chambers. Merlin lied motionless on the uncomfortable, cold floor for at least an hour with his arms wrapped around his torso weakly. Merlin had completely forgotten about meeting Arthur in the training yard but honestly if he had remembered he probably wouldn't have gone anyways. Merlin's whole body hurt, he had a pounding headache, his nose continued to pour blood and it felt like his stomach had imploded within him. Merlin tried to comfort himself but it was no good, he just wanted to see Arthur and have him wrap his strong arms around him and kiss the pain away. Tears rolled down Merlin's cheeks as he laid there and thought of his new-found hatred for Uther.